four

- 2 months later
-

"Happy Birthday, Becca!" I'm nearly scared to death as Brian and Amara run into my room. "Ugh- what time is it?" I groan throwing my warm duvet comforter over my head.

"Almost 12 in the afternoon." Amara laughs and I get up from my bed. "Excuse my messy hair, I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Hurry up! Victoria's on her way, we're going to the diner." Brian says throwing himself on my bed. Amara playfully rolls his eyes at him and walks over to my closet.

"Lemme pick something nice out for you," Amara grins looking through my clothes. "Why? I was just gonna wear jeans and a crop top." I say, not trying to sound rude, Amara has amazing fashion sense. "Oh, this isn't for the diner."

***

"Why are we here?!" I scream over the loud music coming from across the street, a club. I walk out of Brian's car and now I see why Amara insisted of wearing something nice.

"I am not doing this club stuff- you saw Shawn's struggle when he went to a club last month." I say, always having to remind everyone and myself of Shawn.

Oh my god

Shawn didn't say happy birthday to me.

He always does!

Oh wait, we haven't spoken in months. And I'm still in love with him. Ha what?

"Oh, we're not going clubbing, there's a restaurant across the street, this was just the parking lot." Brian says and Amara laughs.

We were still in our town, I've just never been down here before. 23 years till this day, never.

We take a seat at a table for six, I was confused why- it was just going to be Amara, Brian, Victoria and I. That's four people.

"Wait, why are there two extra chairs?" I say and Amara giggles. "Check your phone," she smiles as she sees it just has gone off, telling me I have a text.

Shawn Mendes 😕: not to be really cliche and come surprise you on your birthday cuz you know I hate that stuff- but I'm doing that.

Turn around.

What the fuck.

I turn my head around and see Shawn. "Shawn? What the hell are you doing here?" I say as he walks over, a girl who seems my age follows behind him, she's smiling and waves to Brian.

She must be his girlfriend, great.

"I had a show here two nights ago - my tour just started up and I remembered it's your birthday. It's good to see you and I'm sorry on how I left things last year. Happy Birthday," Shawn smiles and I thank him.

He introduces me to his flawless friend, Bree. She had brown hair and eyes like mine. Her smile was so pretty, I can tell why he likes her.

"Not to make this awkward cuz yanno I'm the best at doing that but-" I was interrupted by the little Italian waiter. I wanted to laugh when I heard his accent- and I also wanted to cry because sitting across from me was my old best friend.

Fuck.

The waiter gave us the menus and we all sat in silence, I already knew what I wanted just by looking at the first page.

I glanced up at Bree, she smiled at me and I returned a smile to her. I wonder if she knows how Shawn and I used to be.

This is a fancy restaurant, I probably shouldn't make a scene when I put Shawn in his spot for just randomly showing up here.

I'm sure Brian and Amara planned this to make me feel better because I frequently have been talking about Shawn.

But this is not how I wanted to reunite with the guy I've been in love with for years.

"Becca," Shawn says and I look at him, taken away from my thoughts. I guess he saw me staring at him. Shawn looks so different, this feels so different.

He definitely is taller, his smile still takes my breath away. I really missed him, I'm just not feeling it right now.

I see Victoria walk to the table, she looked really nice. That's my best friend. I raised an eyebrow at her and she stops in her tracks when she sees Shawn. I shrug as she approaches the table.

"So, I was saying," I clear my throat and everyone looks up at me. "You randomly just show up here expecting me to forgive you for leaving me because it's my birthday?"

"Becca!" Victoria says and I see Bree start getting uncomfortable, I guess Shawn never mentioned to her that I'm a fighter.

"I'm sorry Shawn- this just hurts."

I turn around and start walking away. I couldn't do this. "Becca wait- let's talk about this." Shawn suggests and now we're both in the lobby of the restaurant, trying to find the words to say.

"I'm sure Bree is wonderful but I didn't imagine seeing your girlfriend today- let alone you -Shawn!"

"Bree isn't my girlfriend, I don't have a girlfriend, Becca I just came here because I've been thinking so much of you and how I have ruined everything. When you saw me your smile was replaced with a frown." He says rather harshly.

"You're not the victim here, Shawn." I want say to him but I can't and I won't. "You seem happier, you do." He says and I shake my head. "I missed you so much Shawn but you shouldn't have came here."

"Let me make everything up to you, Becca. You're- you were my best friend."

"Yeah, I was." I say and pivot in my heels, "come on, let's go back inside."

"Yeah, I'll be right there." He says looking down. I hope I didn't hurt him. All this time he seemed happier, I knew one day I'd feel it too.

I just didn't know when.

I would follow up on him through Instagram and Twitter where he's gotten love from millions of fans.

I loved when he was happy, I'd do anything for him.

I make my way back to the table and my friends all look at me waiting for me to spill the gossip. Bree half smiles at me, I take a seat and begin to tell them Shawn and I made up, after all we can't throw away what we used to have.

***

"What's this?" I say to myself, it was 11:49. My birthday was almost over and I'm sat in my apartment alone on the couch, eating some leftover dessert the restaurant gave me as a gift.

That Italian waiter, I'll be back for him.

I open a card, it was from Shawn. "Since when does Shawn give cards?" I laughed to myself, turning the card to the other side as I read out the poem.

Oh, ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody need you like I do
I know that there's others that deserve you
But my darling, I am still in love with you
Baby, you look happier, you do.

"Shawn's still in love with me?" I examined the rest of the card, searching for anything else.

Nothing.

Wait, Shawn loved me?