Like A Dream

A/N: Okay, we're done with the super short chapters, I'm sorry if they confused you! It was supposed to reflect Scott's thoughts and his state of mind, that's why I made them so short. This one's still a little short but Scott's still not okay and he doesn't know how to sort his thoughts, though the next chapters are going to be longer again.

I didn't know how much time had passed before my mom called me to come downstairs. I did, even though I didn't want to. Why should I go downstairs if I could just lay on the cold stone hard floor, pretending to be dead?

"Scott, I just got a phone call," my mom started. I looked at her, eyes red and puffy from crying.

"The hospital in Dallas called," she continued, waiting for me to process what she was saying. My brain had gotten slower over the days.

"They found Mitch. He's alive."

"They- what?" I choked, voice breaking because I hadn't spoken in days.

My mom hugged me tight and I wished she would let go. It hurt too much.

"He's unconscious, but he's alive. They said he's stable for now, but he might have some internal injuries. They don't know yet."

"Can we- can-" I stuttered, unable to express myself, but my mom smiled at me, understanding what I was trying to say.

"Of course. Put on your jacket."