Life

Mitch's POV

Bright light blinded me. Was this the light they all talked about? The one you see when you're dead? Weirdly enough, I hoped it wasn't. I blinked a few times, waiting for my eyes to adjust but they didn't. Instead, I felt pain all over my body and it relieved me. I wasn't dead. What the hell had happened? And where the hell was I? I groaned out of pain and tried to turn around- and failed.

I heard muffled voices.

"Mitch, are you alright? Mom, call the doctor! Mitchy, I'm here, shhh..."

The voice seemed pretty familiar but the light was still so bright I couldn't see the person speaking. They squeezed my hand and I could feel that this person must be someone very close to me.

A deeper voice spoke. "The light must be overwhelming. It's very bright." Thankfully, he turned the light off. Someone came to me.

"Mr Grassi, can you hear anything?"

"N- no," I creaked. "N-not Grassi."

I didn't know what was happening but something told me to run when I heard the name. I started panicking, not knowing why. Someone held my hand and spoke in a soft tone.

"Shh, Mitchy, it's me. You're okay, shh... take a deep breath..."

I did as I was told, my eyes slowly adjusting to the now more agreeable darkness. I saw three faces, silhouettes, all staring at me. I still couldn't recognize who they were but the fear was gone, replaced by a weird sense of serenity. Whoever those people were, I felt safe with them.

I blinked once more, and now I was able to make out a face. My heart nearly stopped.

"Scott?" I caughed, my throat dry.

"Yes, baby, it's me." He squeazed my hand lovingly. But my heart hurt to see him.

"Don't- please." I managed. The woman - who I recognized as Connie, Scott's mom, handed me a cup of water and helped me drink it.

"I'm sorry," I said, suddenly all painful memories coming back. "I don't want to hurt you."

"There's nothing to apologize for, sweetheart. Relax, take a deep breath, drink some more and we'll talk when you feel better. But now just relax, okay, honey?"

I nodded, my mind spinning. "Yeah. Relax," I repeated. "Everything hurts."

"Understandable," the doctor said. "We'll take care of that." He went to the side of the bed and filled something up. A minute later, my body felt numb but painless.

"What-?"

"Morphine," he explained. "Strong painkiller. Is it working?"

"Yeah."