Gucci Fur Coat

"Where are you going?"

I was surprised to hear my dad's voice because one, it was usually my mom questioning my entire existence and hyperventilating and two, he was actually home for once. I raised my eyebrows at him, challenging.

"I'm going out," I just said, shrugging.

His eyebrows scrunched in confusion as he approached me and I rolled my eyes. I had to get out of here quickly because I surely didn't want Scott to wait on me.

"You are going out?" he questioned. "Alone?"

No, with my boyfriend. "Yes."

I didn't have time for his shit, not now that I had almost made it. Just two more days and I'd get away from him for good.

"Where to?"

I rolled my eyes again. "Geez, dad, I'm going away in two days can you stop trying to control me?!"

He lifted his hands up in surrender. "Okay, I get it. I suck at this parenting crap, but hey, I don't want you to fool around with that boyfriend of yours, do you understand me?" He looked around the room as if he was searching for something before he went to rummage in his pocket.

"Here, in case you need something."

I looked at the money in my palm, wide-eyed. My dad had just disposed what looked like six grand in my hand.

"I know you hate me but believe me, I just want what's best for you."

I snorted but took the money. "Yeah. What's best for you, you mean. Your reputation."

"Just take the money as a sign of reconciliation. Being a parent isn't easy."

"Then why did you become one in the first place?"

My dad was just about to speak up but I interrupted him.

"No, I don't want your explanations. When you go into a store, you have the choice, you can buy whatever you think is pretty but you know what? Newsflash, you can't choose what your child should be like! You wanted a straight boy? Sucks for you, 'cause I'm not! And you can't change it. So either accept it or you don't, but then I'm out. You don't want me? Fine, I'd be better off away from here anyway. You can't determine my life, no matter how much you wish you could."

I glared at him, putting as much build-up hatred into my eyes as I possibly could. "And you know what the worst thing about this is?" I added. "I'm happy. For the first fucking time in my life I'm happy, and you are willing to take that away from me just for your own sake. You're obnoxious."

And with that, I left the house, not even looking back when my dad called my name. I walked to the other side of the road where I could see Scott was already waiting for me. I felt bad, having made him wait so long, but he didn't call me out on that. He sensed something was off immediately as I sat next to him in the passenger seat.

"What's wrong, babe?" He asked, concerned.

I let out a deep breath I didn't even realize I was holding but I didn't cry. Not like all the other times I'd had a fight with my parents, where I just broke down crying afterwards. I had pride, and they couldn't take that away from me. Along with my happiness.

"Just a fight with dad," I explained. "He cares more about his reputation than about my happiness."

Scott looked sad to hear the story but he tried to cheer me up anyway.

"Just two more days, Mitchy," he said encouragingly. "Then you won't have to see him again for a long time. And right now, we're gonna have a good time because we're going shopping!"