Chapter 5

•Vanessa's POV•
As we were eating lunch I couldn't help but notice that Connor would glance at me then continue eating with a small smile. Does he like me? Why do I even try. Why would anyone like a fat ugly bitch. Even though Connor is the sweetest guy he knows I'm not skinny. He would never think of me as a beautiful skinny girl. So why even fantasize about it? My stupid thoughts were interrupted by someone saying, "So how about we get a topic going for today?" We did this every now and then. We would randomly pick a topic and discuss it. If we have ever done it, considered it, or anything we know about it.

"Have any of you guys cut before? Like, your skin?" I'm just glad Sam and Jc decided to sit with Brent and the douchbags today. all I heard were 'nah's'.

"What about you Vanessa?" Kian asked me. "You didn't say anything."

"Oh. Sorry. I just zoned out. It's happens you know?" I replied with a light chuckle. "Well. Do you? Cut, I mean," Kian said.

"No. I find no interest in it. Plus it's only for freaks. Well, that's what everyone says," I lied. I've gotten really good at lying over the years.

"I don't think people should call them 'freaks'. They're just people with extra problems who need someone to care for them," Connor said. Wow. If he knew I do it every day. I wish he was person who would care for me. I wonder if he would do that if he found out I cut. He won't though. I can't let him. I was pulled out of my thoughts by someone waving their hand in my face. "Hellooo. Earth to Vanessa." It was Emily.

"Oh. Sorry. I told you I zone out."

"So do you think people should be called freaks just because they cut?" Asked Haley.

"No," I replied truthfully, "I think society just needs to fuck off."

"Ooh. Potty mouth much? Don't make me tell Mom," said Kian.

"Bitch please. I cuss at home and so do you. Don't be a pain in the ass Kian. Not today."

"Then would you like me to be more like Connor. Hhmm. Would you like that? Isn't he the sweetest?? Isn't he?"

Riiiiiiiiing

Well that bell just saves me every time. Art next. Thank god. I actually do wish Kian was more like Connor. Considering I'm always with Kian since he's my brother.

Riiiiiiing

"Okay. Class dismissed."

Finally. School is over. But I'm still up for my daily beating. I told you my bullies aka Sam, Jc, Karly, Jake, Charlie, and Anthony always bully me and hit me after school when no one is watching and they threaten me so I won't say anything. But Sam and Jc have never laid a finger on me. They just stand back and watch me suffer. They love to see my weak side. And I hate them even more for that. "Hey bitch." I could recognize that voice anywhere: Sam.

"Hey little slut. Did you miss us during school? Well don't worry. We're right here," Jc. That stupid player. He always calls me a slut and I've never even had my first kiss. I know. I'm 18 and I've never had my first kiss. Judge me. Brent tried but I never let him. I would dodge it with a kiss on the cheek. Gavin was my middle school boyfriend and he was a good guy so nothing happened there. I always wanted to date Cameron Jones, Gavin's best friend though. If he asked me out I would probably say yes. Unless Connor asks me. But that will never happen.

"Get down whore," Anthony tells me.

"No," I respond confidently, "You're not the boss of me."

"Really? Cause last time I checked, we own you."

Then they started kicking me. They're not stupid. They always kick me in the stomach or legs. I never wear skirts or shorts; I'm too insecure. And they know that. But when I fell they kicked me in the arm. Okay, that fucking hurt. I flinched and that just made them laugh harder. Sam and Jc always laughed so that wasn't any different. Another kick. They never beat me up this bad.

"You might be wondering why we're giving you some extra today," Jc said. Well thanks for reading my mind. "It's cause high school is almost over and who knows if we'll see you again after this. So might as well make the best of it." One kick from Karly really got my stomach cuts. She plays soccer so that's fun. "Ugh," I groaned cause of the pain.

"I think that's enough. Let's go guys. Her brother is probably coming to pick her up. Bye motherfucker," said Jake. Kian always drives me from school to home cause I don't have a car. I have a license. I just need a freaking car. As I was walking (or limping) to Kian's car I didn't see Kian. Instead it was Connor who was waiting for me with no Kian in sight. But hey. I'm not complaining. I could use some variety.

"Hey Vanessa. Kian has a date with Andrea so he asked me to pick you up," Connor told me, "hope that's ok."

"Yeah. It's totally fine. I love to hang out with you." Oh shit. Did I say that out loud? Oh well.

•Connor's POV•

When she said she loves hanging out with me, it made my heart flutter a little. I just smiled and she smiled back her perfectly braced teeth. I love her braced teeth. It's just a part of her and her look. As she was getting in I noticed her stomach started bleeding.

"Uh. Vanessa. I think your stomach is bleeding."

"Oh. Shit. I uh.. Must've hit it with something or whatever. Can we get home so I can get cleaned up. I don't want to look like a bloody mess," she responded.

"Yeah sure. Do you want me to take a look?" I told her.

"No. It's fine," she replied almost too fast. Does she cut? No. She wouldn't. She said she didn't. Unless she didn't want everyone to know. I just hope she doesn't. She's one of the strongest girls I've ever met. And I think I might love her.