Chapter 28

•Kian's POV•

Vanessa and I were in the car and I realized I had to tell her what I said to Connor earlier.

"Vanessa, I have to tell you something," I said.

"Okay," she said slowly.

"Well. I told Connor why you broke up with him. I don't know if it was wrong but you guys looked so sad and I couldn't help it," I said.

"Aww Kian. You're so sweet. I'm not mad. But that explains why he kissed me in the morning. And the 'friend' I was helping is actually Karly. She-"

"What?!" I yelled cutting her off.

"Shut up Kian. She's actually a girl who is just as hurt as me. Even more I think. She just needed someone to be there for her and I wasn't about to let anyone be sad because they didn't have someone to talk to. She's a different person now. She's the person who she was before. And she said I could date Connor. That it was just making me sad. And that's exactly what I'm going to tell Connor. And that I love him," She whispered the last part.

"Vanessa. Have you ever wondered why you were at Mexico for so many years and speak fluent Spanish, but I don't really know how to speak it and I've lived here my whole life?" I asked.

•Vanessa's POV•

"Now that you bring it up, I kind of do wonder that. We'll ask Ma and Pa right now," I said while we got out of the car and walked to our house.

"Ma! Pa!" I yelled through the house. Since I rescued them from Karly they've been sleeping a lot cause they were super tired and weren't sleeping for several days. They came down and sat down at the dining table.

"Yes honey?" My mother said.

"Kian and I want to talk to you about something. About how our lives were before we moved here," I said. Ma quickly looked at Pa and his eyes widened.

"Vanessa, it's really complicated. It's a long story that I don't think you have time for," Pa said.

"Papi, I can wait all day. I'm getting the explanation I deserve. Now," I said.

"Yeah. Dad. I need to know. And why I can't speak Spanish?" Kian said.

"Sit down," Mami said. Kian and I sat across from them.

"When your father and I met, we lived in Tijuana. I got pregnant with you two and we both couldn't have been happier," Ma said, "nine months later, you guys were born. Then your father had to leave for work here in LA. He begged them for him to stay in Mexico and they let him stay for a year. I didn't have a green card and I never visited the US so I couldn't come with him. A year passed and he had to go. You guys were a little over a year old and you're father wanted to have one of you to come live with him. Since you guys were so young, you didn't need a green card so he took Kian since he was the boy. Vanessa grew up with me and we finally immigrated when she was nine. And that's why Vanessa speaks fluent Spanish. I'm sorry we didn't tell you earlier but we felt it didn't matter anymore." When Ma finished, Kian and I were so shocked we couldn't say anything. I finally gathered my thoughts.

"Thanks, Mami. It feels good to know. I'm going to get some rest now. Goodnight," I said while walking upstairs. Kian followed me after saying goodnight.

"Night Kiki. Love you," I said.

"Love you too, little sis," Kian said and disappeared into his room. I went into mine and changed into my pajamas. I finally got sleepy when one thought filled my mind just before I closed my eyes. Connor.