Chapter Forty Seven

Alex James

Fuck... what time is it?

Hell, what's the date..?

Almost as if I had been able to, I opened my eyes slowly, since the light seemed to burn my fucking eyeballs out of their sockets. A boy who looked so much like Olivia was sat next to Cody and Bri, who were chatting with Kevin and Jen. Olivia was sleeping on a wheelchair next to the boy, and I suddenly realized they were practically related.

"Goddamn," I muttered, and the group all turned to look at me. I sat up slowly, letting all my nerves stretch out. I looked around the room and peered at them, "What time is it?"

Suddenly, I was attacked by embracing arms and heard joyful yelling and screaming. I couldn't hear anything but only phrases.

"ALEX IS ALIIIIIIIIVE, MOTHERFUCKERS."

"LET'S HAVE A PARTY!"

"CALL FELICITY."

"YO DUDE, HURT OLIVIA, AND YOU'LL GET A KNUCKLE SANDWICH."

"BRO, YOU WERE ASLEEP FOR SO FUCKING LONG THAT MOM THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD, YOU FUCKING DUMBASS."

Soon, everyone got off of me when a nurse came rushing in. She helped adjust some random wires and put down a bowl of applesauce down on the table beside me. When she left, Jen looked between Olivia and me. Olivia hadn't said a word, and her eyes were still wide, staring at me in utter awe. Maybe she's surprised.

Jen then realized the tension in the air and said, "We'll leave you two alone for a while."

They all left, and Olivia's brother patted her head, before leaving the door closed behind him. She rolled her wheelchair beside me and grabbed my hand, letting out a calm breath. "Can it be silent for a little bit..?" She asked softly.

I nodded.

Olivia took my hand and looked at it, tears welling in her eyes. Blinking, a tear fell onto my palm, and she wiped it away, stroking my hand lightly, as if trying to see if I were actually awake, all flesh and bones. She had a small smile on her lips, and I could tell she was just.. ecstatic. She pulled my hand to her lips and kissed it gently. Her lips were soft and warm. Then, she put my hand on her lap, still grasping it.

"Hey."

"Sup?"

She looked at me with a beautiful smile, tears streaming down her face, "Thanks for taking care of me, Alex."

My heart jumped for a moment, and I smiled, "No problem."

"I really mean it," she continued, staring at my hand. "I mean every single word. Thank you for putting up with my sorry excuse of a teenager for so long." She glanced up at me with her cheeks flushed a shy pink and said, "I love you."

My cheeks reddened in surprise. So she remembered that I said that to her, huh? Straining myself, I leaned over and cradled her face in my hand, kissing her gently.

"I love you too."

~~~

After countless days worth of information forced down my throat, the others had introduced me to Samuel, or Sam, Olivia's older brother. Great. Another wall of approval to get through before getting to Olivia. I let out a huff. It had been two weeks, and I was finally let out of the freaking hospital, along with Olivia. We both had tons of work to do and decided to do it together.

The next morning, we were at school. Sam was going to be packing Olivia's stuff back to her house, which kind of disappointed me since she was going to be farther away from me now. I was sitting on the bleachers, trying to avoid any stares from others. For some reason, news reporters were at our school, and Olivia and I were hiding from them. Kevin, Jen, Bri, and Cody had their popularity died down, but we were fresh prey.