Three Weddings and a Funeral (Chapter 9)

"What type of movies do you like to watch?" Gabby asked, scrolling through the Netflix choices.

"I'll watch whatever you pick."

"So, if I picked a chick flick, you would watch it?"

"Not if I was by myself, but—" stroking Gabby's cheek and giving her a shy smile—"if I'm with a beautiful woman, I would."

Scoffing, Gabby covered her mouth with her hand.

"You don't believe me? I love everything romantic: flowers, going for walks together." Hopping off the bed, he reached for Gabby's hand. Pulling her up to stand and drawing her into his arms, Ignazio swayed side to side. Holding her gaze, he said in a deep, sexy Italian tone, "Dancing, romantic candlelit dinners and kisses under the stars." Raising her hand above her head and pushing on the small of her back, he twirled her under his arm and declared, "I love romance."

Cast under Ignazio's spell, Gabby was speechless. As her pulse raced, the unexpected tender touch of a kiss between her eyebrows left her knees weak. Unable to steady herself, she took a step back and sat down. Though trying desperately to act like she was fine, the flush of colour that covered her from head to toe told Ignazio the truth.

***

It was good that Addilyn was such a deep sleeper, as the movie Ignazio had chosen had both Gabby and him bursting into laughter several times.

"My mother was like this character," Gabby said. "Single for 11 years before she met my stepfather; they married at the house. It was lovely and very intimate."

"My parents," Ignazio said, "had a typical Italian wedding in an old church, with lots of family and friends present. I think... if I ever get the chance to be married, I would like to keep the ceremony small, with just family and a few close friends. However, the reception would be a big party. Being in the entertainment industry, I'm afraid things would get crazy super-fast."

"I only had about 80 people at my wedding," Gabby let slip.

"Hold on, you're married?"

Gabby froze. Swallowing hard to get moisture down her throat, there was no taking that statement back.

"I was...for a little over two years, but I'm not anymore."

"Are you divorced?"

"No."

"Separated?"

"No."

At the park, he noticed that she wore a ring on her left hand, but not looking like a traditional wedding ring he thought nothing of it. When out with friends, almost every girl he knew wore a ring as an out for unwanted attention. 

"I don't understand," he said.

Twisting her sapphire ring back and forth, panic sat in Gabby's gut. This would be the first time she was going to tell a stranger her husband was gone.

"My husband was T-boned by a drunk driver and..."

She didn't finish her sentence, but silence blasted the words around the room; she was a widow!

***

Comprehending what he had just heard, Ignazio witnessed Gabby's countenance change. Reaching for her elbows, he pulled her close and pressed her head against his chest. Wrapping his arms around her tighter, he felt a tear drop onto his skin.

"I'm so sorry, Gabby," he soothed. Rocking with her, his heart broke, and he squeezed her even tighter. This morning, something inside had cautioned him to be gentle, and now he knew why.