New York, New York (Chapter 3)

"It's open!" she hollered, leaning over the railing.

Seeing both her parents come through the door, Gabby waved.

"Just this?" her father asked, pointing to the lone suitcase by the door.

"That's it," Gabby said, coming down the stairs.

Sending Addilyn out to the car with her grandparents, Gabby gave Finnegan one last squeeze and a smooch before locking the kennel.

"I'll see you Sunday."

Ensuring for the tenth time she had the plane and concert tickets, biting her lip and closing her eyes, she blew out a long breath. The day she had dreamed about for many years was finally coming true. Glancing over her shoulder, she silently squealed, let the adventure begin!

***

Sitting in their seats, waiting for the airplane to take off, Addilyn bounced on her knees. Staring out the window, she questioned everything.

"Who are those guys? Where is that plane going? What is that noise?"

Apologizing in advance for any annoyance her daughter might cause the man sitting beside them, she smiled when he answered, "No worries. I'm a father of five, two of which are twins. I understand."

***

Pulling into the terminal four and a half hours later, Gabby clasped her hands to her chest. They were in New York City! There was no mistaking that this was happening now. Shaking her daughter's leg, Gabby proudly announced, "You've just had your first long plane ride, and you did great!"

"Yes, you did," acknowledged the gentleman beside them. "I'll fly next to you anytime!" Leaning forward and reaching over Gabby to give Addilyn a high five, he added, "I hope you have a fun time in New York City."

"Thank you," Addilyn said, giving him a dimpled grin.

Disembarking and following the passengers in front of her, Gabby could only hope they were heading in the right direction. Had Addilyn not dropped Honeybun, everything would have been fine, but losing sight of the woman they were following, she quickly became overwhelmed. Squeezing Addie's hand, she looked around for any signage telling her where to go.

"Mommy?"

"We're alright, my love. Just hold on to Honeybun tight. If he gets lost here, we might not find him."

"You look like you're lost?" a voice asked.

Spinning around, a familiar figure stood in front of her.

"I am!"

"Follow me," Lifting Addilyn into his arms, the same gentleman who had been sitting beside them weaved his way in and out of other people crossing in front of him.

"This is just crazy," Gabby said, grateful he had come to their rescue.

"I travel all the time, so this doesn't bother me anymore." Stepping off the escalator, he led them to the luggage area. "Here we are."

Helping Gabby remove her suitcase from the belt, he invited her to follow him to where they would catch a taxi. Walking through the sliding doors and hit with a wall of people hollering for cabs and vehicle horns going off every few seconds, Gabby stopped. Stunned, the only thing that got her to move was seeing her daughter still walking in front of her.

Signalling for the attendant to hail a cab, the gentleman asked, "Do you have your hotel confirmation handy?"

"I do," Gabby answered, retrieving the yellow envelope. "We're staying here."