A Long Winter (Chapter 25)

It was turning into a long, cold winter. The snow had arrived mid-October and had stuck around. The last three days had been bitterly cold, and low laying grey clouds hid the sun today. Still unable to enjoy the new skates and toboggan that Addilyn had received for Christmas; she and Addie were both getting cabin fever.

Sending Addilyn down to the basement to burn off some energy, Gabby stared at the deflated bouncer lying on the floor. Though she had initially reprimanded Ignazio for spending so much on a present, plugging it in and turning on the switch, she now quietly appreciated his resourcefulness. Unable to go outside, the large bouncer had been a godsend.

Leaving Addilyn to entertain herself, Gabby was grateful for distraction of Lisa's upcoming wedding.

***

Pulling out her bridesmaid's dress and another fancy dress for the New Year's dance, Gabby placed both in her garment bag. Dropping her shoes into the shoe compartment of her suitcase, she closed the top and zipped it up. Carrying both hers and Addilyn's suitcases down the stairs and setting them by the front door, she heard a man's voice approaching her house.

"Addie," Gabby hollered. "I think your ride is here."

Racing down the stairs, Addilyn flew into her uncle's arms.

"You ready? Peter asked.

"Yes!"

Scooting Finnegan over, Gabby sat on the couch. It would be another 40 minutes before Lisa and the other bridesmaids would arrive to pick her up. With nothing else to do but wait, her eyes scanned her living room, and she grinned at the remnants of opened presents under the tree. Her daughter hadn't been the only one Ignazio had spoiled. Drawn to the gift propped against the fireplace mantle, her thoughts returned to Christmas morning.

"Ignazio had us hold on to this for him," her father said, walking into the living room, carrying a guitar case wrapped with a big red bow.

"What is this?" she asked, looking over at her laptop.

"Open it," Ignazio said excitedly.

Releasing the latch, Gabby slowly lifted the lid. Peeking into the case, her mouth dropped open.

"Ignazio, this is so beautiful. You shouldn't have."

"Yes, I should have, and so I did," he said, beaming from ear to ear.

Lifting the guitar out, Gabby held the most beautiful instrument she had ever seen. Made of dark chocolate coloured wood, it was the perfect size for her smaller hands. Stroking the guitar's neck, a giggle escaped her lips as she touched the mother-of-pearl lily inlaid into the pick guard.

Sitting back and pulling on his bottom lip, Ignazio confessed, "When we came back from Waterton, I asked Addie if you had a guitar, and she said no. That's when I started looking for one. Do you like it?"

"I love it. Thank you, thank you."

***

Retrieving her guitar, Gabby played until her fingertips hurt. Hearing a car door close, she drew back the sheer curtain. Spotting Lisa coming up the sidewalk, she placed her guitar back against the mantel and raced to the door.

"Ready?" Lisa asked.

"Almost."

Securing Finnegan in his crate, she said her goodbyes and followed Lisa to the car. The last one picked up; throwing her bag into the trunk, she climbed into the minivan's back row.

"Toronto, here we come," everyone squealed as Lisa pulled away.

***

The first two days of Lisa's four-day bachelorette was a blast. Excusing herself from the dance floor, Gabby ordered another cocktail. Watching Lisa and the other bridesmaids still going for it on the dance floor, she chuckled when 'Shut Up and Dance' began to play.