Last Day (Chapter 23)

Waking up forty minutes earlier than planned, Gabby lay in bed. Later this afternoon, she would have to drive Ignazio to the airport and say goodbye. Unable to get back to sleep despite the early hour, Gabby eventually decided to get a head start on her day.

"Hey, Google, play my Italian favourites."

Grabbing the dough, she had made the night before from the fridge, Gabby gathered the remaining ingredients. Punching down the dough and pulling apart small pieces, she brushed each ball with melted butter. Then, tossing them into a cinnamon-sugar mixture, she laid them on a pan. Covering the pan with a towel, she left them to rise.

Done cleaning up the mess, Gabby turned on her laptop. With a good 45 minutes to devote to her Christmas gift for Ignazio, she got to work. So engrossed in what she had created, and hearing her grandfather clock chime, a quarter to nine, Gabby realized she had lost track of time.

"Uugh!" she complained, ripping off her shirt as she shot upstairs to get changed. Kicking off her sweatpants, and flinging them into the corner, she swore under her breath, when the doorbell rang. Yanking on a pair of gray Lululemon yoga pants and hearing the doorbell ring again, she bounded down the stairs, pulling a pink workout tee over her head.

"I'm coming," she hollered.

Flinging the door open, Ignazio's back greeted her.

Turning around to face her, Ignazio tucked his phone back in his front pocket. "I was just about to call," he said. "I thought maybe you had slept in or were in the shower."

"Sorry, you caught me getting dressed," Gabby explained, adjusting her t-shirt before giving him a quick kiss. Leading Ignazio to the kitchen, she caught a better glimpse at what he was wearing.

"Oh dear, we have been around each other too long," she said, giggling.

"Why?"

"Because we are wearing the same colour scheme."

Wearing, gray ripped jeans and a white shirt with a large black, white, and pink Eiffel Tower graphic Ignazio also chuckled.

"Is this a good thing?"

"You always look wonderful to me," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I think you look pretty fabulous yourself. I like it when you wear workout clothes," Ignazio said, shaking her hips. "It shows off your amazing figure."

Scoffing, Gabby touched her stomach.

"You..." he repeated, "have an amazing figure." Grasping her hips and running his hands across her backside and down to the back of her thighs, Ignazio lifted Gabby up, wrapping her legs around his waist. "All of me loves all of you. Love your curves and all your edges. And all your perfect imperfections." Squeezing the back of her thighs, Ignazio winked as Gabby tried to suppress a giggle.

"Hey, sweetheart," she said, wiggling out of his arms, "how about you wake up, Addilyn, and I'll get my baking into the oven." Seeing Ignazio's head drop, Gabby stroked his cheek and, skimming her hand down his beard, she tapped his chest. "Don't be sad. There is so much we get to do today."

***

Having entered Addilyn's room multiple times now, there was no need to step apprehensively anymore. Sitting on the edge of the bed, Ignazio gazed down at a sleeping Addilyn. This would be the last time he would see her sleeping, and he would miss his Piccolo Amore. They had experienced a lot of fun together, and his memories would have to sustain him until they met again.

Pushing Addie's hair away from her forehead, Ignazio repeatedly kissed her cheek. Finally, getting some movement, he stroked her cheek with this thumb.

"Buongiorno amore mio."