When Good Times End (Chapter 13)

"Who is it?" she called from behind a closed door.

"It's your Prince Charming."

Keeping the safety latch on, Gabby cracked open the door.

"Wow, earlier tonight, two other guys were fighting over me, and now Prince Charming is at my door. Thank you, but I don't want another suitor," and with that, she left Ignazio by himself in the hallway.

Standing on her tiptoes and peeking through the peephole, he looked shocked and confused. Letting him in, she couldn't keep herself from laughing.

"Very funny," Ignazio said, advancing as Gabby retreated. Snatching her into a bear hug, he added, "I very much want you."

Listening to her joyful laughter, he playfully tackled her onto the bed.

"Oomph!" Gabby exhaled from the added weight on top of her. Trying to push him back, she groaned that she couldn't catch her breath. Lifting his torso off her, Ignazio snickered as she offered an unconvincing, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"No, you're not."

Rolling off her and laying on his side, Ignazio gazed at her as she rested her head on her outstretched arm.

"Gabby, do you believe in fate?"

"Umm... maybe. Do you?"

"Yes!"

"Really?"

"Yes. Too many events have happened in my life, all seemingly so unbelievable and with no rational explanation, that you can't help but question why."

"Such as?"

"Well, the night I was about to settle for being alone, you came into my life. I know I'm a hopeless romantic, and I'm fine with that. My mother told me it was love at first sight for her when she met my father. She said she had butterflies in her stomach, and when he spoke to her, she couldn't answer him."

"And did he have love at first sight for her?"

"No, he was slower. Only when he did something incredibly stupid, and Mamma refused to take his phone calls, did my father realize he was about to lose the best thing that had ever happened to him."

"I haven't had much experience with relationships," Gabby said. "Alex was my first serious one, and that started as a friendship and grew from there. So, I guess yes, I believe in fate. Two people can have unrelated events happen that put them on a particular path to where they will meet.

Seeing the twinkle in Gabby's eyes, Ignazio caressed her skin as she studied his face.

"You are beautiful and amazing, and when I first saw you, everyone and everything left my mind. I saw only you. I was speechless, and that never happens. We both have complicated lives, yours more so than mine and having experienced the worst hurt imaginable, I want to respect your feelings." Knowing what he would say next could change everything, he paused and took a deep breath. "I want to develop a stronger relationship with you."

Though he would have loved to have heard a quick affirmation back, Ignazio was just grateful she didn't push away.

"I know what I'm saying is a lot, so if you don't feel the same way about me yet, I'll take that. Take your time. If you need to talk, need encouragement, your car breaks down, and you need a new one—" Gabby laughed, which made Ignazio smile—"Whatever you or Addilyn need, I will be there for you."

Not bothered by her silence, 'The Best Day of my Life' popped into his head once more. Humming, he began.

"...Mm-mm. This could be the best day of my life. Suddenly, it all just felt so right... and I'm loving how it feels..."