I Will Stand By You (Chapter 33)

Just as she said she would, Caterina and Vito returned to the hospital around 7:00 p.m. Since Gabby was still resistant to leaving, Vito stepped in.

"Gabby," he said, his voice stern but still loving, "You need to listen to Mamma. Do not argue. Go home and rest!"

"Caterina! You are a mother. Every part of you is in your child. My baby is hurt. How can you tell me to leave her?"

Cupping Gabby's face in her hands, Caterina spoke from her heart. "I can tell you to go because when my baby boy was born, he wasn't allowed to come home right away. He had to stay in the hospital for tests. Every day Vito had to pull me away from his crib so I could rest and be 100% there for my son come morning."

Squeezed tight by Ignazio's mother, Gabby choked back the urge to cry when Caterina whispered in her ear, "I'm still a fierce Mamma Bear."

"Gabby, honey, let's go," Ignazio said, taking Gabby from his mother. Stroking his fingers up and down her arm, he reassured her, "Mamma and Papá, they will call us immediately if we have to return."

Outnumbered and physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted, out of respect for Caterina, Gabby surrendered. Saying goodbye to her daughter, Gabby leaned in and whispered, "You are braver than you believe. Stronger than you seem. Smarter than you think and loved more than you know." Pressing her lips to her daughter's cheek, Gabby choked back her tears.

"I promise, sweetheart. I will bring you back first thing in the morning," Ignazio said, leading her out the door.

Keeping her head down, Gabby refused to look at anyone.

***

It was a silent drive home. Each kilometre away from her daughter pushed Gabby further into herself. Collapsing onto the sofa, though the leather's coolness and baby softness felt amazing two days ago, now, against her tired, aching body, she shivered. Cocooning herself in the throw blanket, she huddled against the corner of the chaise. Stroking Mozart's soft ears and watching as Ignazio busied himself in the kitchen, her mind shut itself off. Unable to purposefully process anything, she stared blankly through him as he approached her.

"Gabby, I've heated up some soup for you."

Purposely she slapped his hand away.

"Gabby, you have to eat something."

"Just leave me be, Ignazio."

"No. I have strict orders from Mamma to get some food into you."

"I don't want..." Another wave of grief choked her words. As a single tear pooled in the corner of her eye, joined by a second and then a third, it dripped across the bridge of her nose and dropped onto the couch. Unable to push her grief back, a low groan escaped her lips, and her body began to shake. Hiding her face, she let her pain come back. "Why didn't you stick up for me, Ignazio? I should be there with her, not here."

She did not know how long she had cried, but when she finally took in a jerking breath, she found herself held tightly in Ignazio's arms. Inhaling the fragrant aroma of something deliciously wonderful, her stomach betrayed her defiance.

"I'll be right back," he said, removing his arm from around her shoulders. Returning with two soup bowls, Ignazio set them down on the coffee table and knelt in front of her.

"I want you to eat at least four spoons full of this soup," he said, bringing the hot mixture of pasta, veggies, and beans to her mouth.

"It smells good. What kind of soup is it?"

Throwing in a thick Sicilian accent into his answer, Ignazio spoke, "It'sa pasta Faggioli for youa."

For the first time since learning of Addilyn's accident, Gabby heard herself chuckle. Allowing Ignazio to feed her, wonderful Italian flavours exploded in her mouth, and a warmth filled her empty belly. Taking the bowl and spoon, neither spoke as they ate. Setting her empty bowl on the coffee table, she felt so much better than earlier.