Talents Shared (Chapter 36)

*** Note: "I'm Gonna Love You is written and performed by Jennifer Love Hewitt

Pulling back into the driveway, having returned in plenty of time to relax before everyone would partake of homemade fettuccini for lunch, Ignazio ran his hand through his hair. Blowing out his cheeks, his pulse raced, and his palms became sweaty. Part one of his plan had been completed. Now for part two. Knowing his love would be sad seeing his parents leave, he had asked Vincenzo and Mariella to take care of Addilyn for a couple hours this afternoon. And as fate would have it, their granddaughter Sophia, would be staying with them. All he had to do was convince Addie to have a play date. A very social little girl, he had nothing to worry about. Introduced to Gabby and Addilyn soon after they arrived, her mother bonded instantly with the older couple, and she soaked up being spoiled by another set of adopted grandparents.

***

"We're back," Vito hollered, setting his bag of hardware items on the side table to perfectly hide Ignazio's two purchases.

"Oh, good, good," Caterina said, wiping her hands with a drying towel, "Igna, before I forget, I've misplaced my charger. I checked all over Piero's place, but didn't find it. Do you have a spare one I can have and if you find mine you can just keep it."

Giving Gabby a quick peck on the cheek, Ignazio answered, "I might." Not sticking around he broadly smiled at his mother. Glancing over his shoulder to ensure Gabby wasn't looking and casually picking up his purchases, he disappeared upstairs. Passing Addilyn's room, he heard her chattering to herself.

"Addie, sweetie," he said, entering her room. "I need your help. Will you help me?"

"OK."

"Mommy and I need to go out for just a few hours, later this afternoon, so I asked Vincenzo and Mariella if they could look after you for us. She was very excited to babysit you as their granddaughter, Sophia, would be staying with them while her parents were out too. She thought you and Sophia could have a play date together."

Unexpectedly, he did not get the reaction he thought he would and seeing the 'I'm not impressed with being left behind' look on Addie's face, Ignazio resorted to bribery.

"We could make a stop at the toy store and get something new for the two of you to play with."

"OK."

***

"Hey, there," Gabby said, joining Ignazio in his music room. "I was wondering where you went. Are you busy?"

"No."

"Just plunking out a new tune?" she asked, scooting beside him on the piano bench.

"Sort of." Rattling off random notes, Ignazio smiled at his love. "It's not finished yet. I'm still tweaking the music, but the words are done."

"Can I hear it?"

Playing the first few bars, Ignazio closed his eyes as the emotion he wanted to express bubbled from his fingertips, up through his arms, into his chest and out in his voice. Beautiful and soft, the notes lifted the words as they danced together in the air. Though sung in Italian, her soul embraced the song of love and kissing Ignazio's shoulder, Gabby watched him smile to himself as if everything he was singing was happening right now.

"Sweetheart, that was so beautiful!"

"You liked it?"

"I did! What is it called?"

"I haven't titled it yet, but I am thinking either..." Giving Gabby his two choices, he asked which one she liked best. Shaking her head to the last title, Ignazio scribbled 'Il Modo Tu Mi Ami; The Way You Love Me.'