Tough Questions (Chapter 20)

Arriving back at the campsite, Ignazio and Gabby saw Brian tending to the fire while Kate packed everything up for the night.

"We're back," Gabby said as she and Ignazio sat in their chairs.

"So, Ignazio, have you enjoyed your time here?" Kate asked.

"Oh, yes... I have!"

"Good." Smiling at Ignazio and tapping him on his knee, she added, "I'm glad to hear that." Turning to her husband, Kate asked, "Is the fire out? I'm ready to call it a night."

"Almost," Brian responded, poking the last few logs, causing them to drop into the smouldering embers and tiny sparks to fizzle out as they rose in the air.

"All right, I'll see you inside." Walking past Gabby and Ignazio's chairs, Kate squeezed Gabby's shoulder. "Goodnight, you two."

"Goodnight," the two said simultaneously.

Watching her father-in-law as he continued to stab at the embers, Gabby sighed contentedly. She hadn't lied when she told Ignazio that Waterton was a renewal for her. Freed from the city's heaviness and her responsibilities there, she felt utterly content and fully relaxed.

"What are you smiling at, Dad?" she asked.

"You."

"Me?"

"Yes!"

Feeling a heat rise within her body that wasn't caused from the dying fire, Gabby dropped her eyes when Brian beamed back at her. Excusing herself to go to the washroom, she hugged her father-in-law goodnight.

"Goodnight, sweetheart."

***

Waiting for Gabby to walk far enough away that it was safe to talk without being overheard, Ignazio asked, "Brian, if it's not too difficult, could I please ask you some questions about your son?"

Watching as Brian straightened and looked at him, Ignazio regretted making the request.

"It's still painful for all of us," Brian said, lowering his voice so his wife could not easily hear him. "More so for his mother and Gabby, but what do you want to know?"

"It's fine. I, I... I shouldn't have asked."

"Ignazio, as a family, we promised each other that if anyone ever wanted to talk about Alex, they could. So, it's alright to ask. I'll let you know if I don't feel comfortable with any of your questions."

Running his palm over his beard, Ignazio rested his elbows on his knees. Taking a deep breath, he held Brian's gaze.

"Gabby said that she and Alex started as friends. I was just curious about how they met and what type of guy he was."

Watching as Brian's expression oozed with pride, Ignazio relaxed and listened.

"My wife and I were blessed to have four boys, Alex being our third. So easygoing, tender-hearted, funny, and always smiling; his daughter shares many of those traits with him. Two years older than her, Kate and I learned about Gabby when he came bolting into the house, more excited than usual about some project he had to do. His high school teacher had paired him with someone who was Gabby's best friend's brother, and I guess she had been at the house that day. Hanging out as just friends, for the next year, his mother and I could tell he was crushing on her hard. Whenever we would tease him, his excuse was that she was only in grade nine, and it would feel weird dating someone, not even in high school yet."

"That makes sense, I guess."

"You probably won't believe this, but Gabby was the one who inevitably got them dating."