Chapter 12

Ruby

I've been busy stocking the shelves for the last hour. I had a few phone orders come in and an older man that didn't know what he was looking for but tried to explain it to me by repeating the 'round rubber thing.' I finally gave up because if he didn't know then I really didn't know. I asked was it a seal, a gasket, a door-stopper but nothing was right for him. He left grumbling about kids not knowing anything anymore. I purposely put my phone in my backpack out back so I wouldn't text Mason, of course I added him the minute he left but I don't know. I already disrupted his life maybe he invited me to that party out of pity.

At seven, I lock up the store, pocketing the keys. With twitchy hands I take out my phone only to see a missed call from Jade. "Damn it." Pressing her name I listen to the phone ringing.

"Hey," she answers. "Can you hear me?" she shouts.

"Yeah, can you hear me?" I ask.

"Just about, I'm in Times Square!" she squeals. "I wanted to see how you were doing?" she shouts. I give her a quick run down of what has happened since we last spoke and of todays fiasco. "What? He came to meet you," she screams.

"Calm down," I laugh.

"Ruby, holy crap, did you say yes?"

"No, I haven't decided," I tell her.

"Ruby, I swear I will smack you upside the head. Call him back, now," she yells.

"Jesus Jade, quit screaming, you'll burst my ear drum," I complain.

"Where are you?"

"Leaving the store," I grumble as I kick the sidewalk with my toes.

"Get to my house now, Ruby Grey and raid my closet. FaceTime me when you get there. I'll let mom know you'll be there in five," she hangs up.

I grumble all the way to Jade's house and knock on the door. Her house is in the nice part of town and I really miss coming here.

"Ruby," Jade's mom hugs me. "I miss seeing you sweetie."

"Me too," I smile.

"Go ahead, I hope this boy is cute," she smiles and I run up the stairs to hide my blush. Once I'm in the room I call Jade back and she's all business.

"So how much time do we have?" she asks.

"I don't know I haven't called him yet," I reply.

"Ruby," She yells at me. "Call him now."

"Fine," I huff.

Putting my crazy friend on hold I swallow hard and press Mason's name. It rings a few times then goes to voicemail.

"Voicemail," I tell her.

"Text him," she says.

Ruby: Hi Mason, is that offer for the party still good?

"Done," I sigh. Jade orders me around her room telling me what to wear. I now have on a black ruffle short skirt with black and red layered tank tops.

"Shoes?" I show her my tennis shoes making her groan. "I think I left my black wedges, check."

"You're so bossy," I laugh.

"You know it," she grins. "I can't believe I'm missing you're first awesome party date," she sighs wistfully. "Did he text back?"

Shaking my head, "no," I reply.

"Check again," she says in a normal tone now. After I check, I shake my head again feeling a bit disappointed. "Mascara and gloss," Jade orders. Using her bathroom, I apply a new layer of both then shake out my hair. "I love your hair like that," she says.

"Thanks," I smile. "He's calling," I squeal.

"Answer," she laughs.

"Hello?" I bite my lip when I answer.

"Hey, hang on, it's a bit loud here," he says. I wait, clutching the phone to my ear. "Sorry about that, can you hear me now?"

"Yes," I answer.

"Are you accepting the party invitation?"

"Yes but I guess you're already there so it's okay," I tell him.

"What, no, no. I can come get you, we just got here, and I didn't hear my phone. Text me your address," he says and I hear the engine start.

"Okay," I reply. "See you soon."

"You will," he says.

After we hang up I text him Jade's address then un-pause FaceTime. "He's on the way," I breathe.

"Yay! Perfume," she claps her hands. I raid her bottom drawer in the bathroom and find the one I like.

"You left it?" I ask.

"Yeah, I have another one," she laughs. "You can have that one."

"I wish you were here," I tell her as I spritz myself.

"I want to see this hottie, bring me down stairs," she commands.

I can't help but laugh as I climb down the stairs. Jade's mom tells me I look nice then she talks with Jade for a minute. My heart races the whole time I stand in the hall waiting. I don't even know what Jade and her mom are talking about because I'm too nervous to concentrate on anything right now.

"Honey," Jade's mom taps my shoulder.

"Yeah," I look at her.

"He's knocking on the door," she smiles.

Racing to the door I swing it open to reveal Mason Baker. He looks mouthwatering in his black jeans and grey long sleeve t-shirt with the top two buttons undone.

"Hi," he smiles warmly.

"Hi," I reply. Jade's mom approaches us with Jade on the phone.

"Hi, Mrs. Grey," Mason reaches out his hand. "I'd like to take Ruby to a party if that's okay with you," he continues.

I open my mouth to correct him but Jade squeals from the phone and her mom just smiles.

"Of course it is honey, please have her back by two," she tells him.

"What the hell," Jade says from the phone in my hand.

"Yes Ma'am," he nods. "Ready?" he asks me.

"Yes," I nod.

Jade's mom winks at me and reminds me where the spare key is by pointing to the broken flowerpot. I mouth 'thank you' to her because there's no way I'd bring him to my house. Jade is still on my phone so I flip it for her, her jaw drops and I grin.

"Holy shit," she hisses.

"What?" Mason asks.

"Hey Mason," Jade calls out. He looks down at the phone clutched in my hand and smiles.

"You must be Jade," he says when I turn the phone to him.

"I am," she replies. "Do not disrespect my best friend, I know where you go to school," she tells him.

"Never," he replies but I see him holding back a smile.

"I'll call you tomorrow," I tell her and wave goodbye.

"Use a condom," she yells as I cut her off. My face turns beat red but Mason laughs out loud.

"She's funny," he says, opening the door for me.

"Yeah, she's something," I say, dying of embarrassment.