Chapter 19

Ruby

I can't believe how I look, the mirror in this bathroom is not doing me any justice but I don't seem to care all that much. I fix my hair as best as I can then open the door to find Mason leaning against the opposite wall with his arms folded and a smirk on his face.

"You always talk to yourself in the bathroom?" he teases.

"Only when I look this bad," I tell him. My head is still slightly swimming as I move toward him.

"I think you shouldn't drink ever again," he chuckles.

"I won't," I tell him.

"I'm joking Ruby, do whatever you want I'll watch out for you," he says, taking my hand he leads me back down the stairs. Carrie is standing in the front room talking with Beth and texting on her phone. When she sees me she raises her eyebrow then smiles, I can tell she is taking pictures but my brain won't allow me to comprehend all that much. Mason brings me to the kitchen where is grabs another bottle of water and some chips. He takes me outside into the night air making me shiver. Once he sits in the chair he helps me onto his lap again.

"See if you can eat something," he whispers.

"Thanks," I reply. I can feel the heat from his broad chest and I wiggle closer to him. I'm not one hundred percent sure if I should be acting like this with him but I like being with Mason, he makes me feel special. Rory and Cassidy join us after a few minutes, she is worse off than I am but Rory seems to have a good grip of her. Cassidy crawls onto his lap so that she is facing me.

She grins at me and I smile back. Mason and Rory start to talk but I think Cassidy and I just shared a mutual kind of secret. Mason is clearly very popular with the girls and Rory is no slouch either, except that Mason is not mine, not really.

"Are you okay," Mason asks. His lips brush off my ear and I shiver.

"I'm good."

"Okay, let me know if you're too cold," he says but holds me closer anyway. Cassidy is asleep on Rory but he doesn't seem to mind, I notice his hand slowly rub back, and forth on her thigh while he chats with Mason. It's obviously subconscious but part of me wishes that Mason would do that to me, just be comfortable enough to rub my thigh or kiss me. I let out an audible sigh just thinking about his lips on mine.

He wraps his arms around me and I burrow closer. Closing my eyes I listen to the hum of his voice as he speaks quietly. I think it's about football I'm not sure but I don't care, I'm comfortable. Just as I'm about to allow myself to fully relax because it's been so long a commotion from the house draws everyone's attention. We hear shouting and something smashes.

"Hey baby," Mason says. I jump off him but he quickly pulls me back to him. "Stay close it's probably just some idiots," he says. Cassidy is also awake now but she looks confused as she looks around the back garden. We hear more shouting and a girl screaming too then I swear my name has been called. Mason tenses but moves a little as two people rush out of the back door.

"Ruby?"

I look on in shock when Daniel calls out my name again. Mason looks at me with confusion but I grip his shirt.

"Rubes," Daniel calls again. Olivia stumbles across the yard from some dark corner fixing her clothes. Mason's friend Kullen follows her but Carrie and Beth exit the house to Daniel. When I see Carrie approach Daniel with a smile I just know she is up to something. "Ruby," he shouts.

"What the fuck," Rory says.

Daniel looks in our direction and spots me with Mason. He storms over to us and pushes Mason hard making both of us stumble.