Chapter 35

Ruby

Cassidy and Mason arguing, is not sitting well with me. I'm not sure what he did to upset her but she's been acting weird since we left the dance, now they are fighting about where I'm sleeping.

"I'll just grab a taxi," I reply to them.

"Hell no, I have like ten rooms you can chill in my house," Kullen says.

"Kull," Mason starts.

"Bro, she'll be fine the door locks. You two meet me at my house in five. I'll take you home," he says to Cass. "And grab Ruby's bag. You all have some shit to sort out but Mason and Ruby have some making up to do," he ushers Cassidy and Rory away leaving me with Mason. He takes my hand in his and we walk to the jeep, opening the passenger door he waits until I get in. I watch him walk around the front of the jeep and when he climbs inside. My heart aches to know if we are going to be okay.

We drive to Kullen's big house in silence, the driveway is dark when we pull up outside the house. Mason cuts the engine then pops his seatbelt, turning to me. I do the same so that I can face him.

"What's going on with you and Cass," I ask.

"No idea," he blows out a breath. "You saw how she lit into me for asking if you were cold," he shrugs. "What are you doing tomorrow?"

"Nothing," I reply.

"Do you want to hang out," he asks, shyly.

"Hang out as what," I ask feeling my cheeks heat.

He sighs and takes my hand in his. "I'm not going to lie Ruby, you really hurt me but I'm not punishing you no matter what Cassidy tells you," he says.

"She never said that to me. She said that you missed me and that we belong together," I finish on a whisper because I don't know if he feels that way or if Cassidy is just trying to play matchmaker.

"Well I do miss you but I'm a little stuck right now. I'd gotten used to the idea that you didn't want or need me..."

"I'm so sorry," I sigh, hanging my head.

"I know," he lifts my face to his. "I do still love you Ruby I never stopped but I don't want to get hurt again," he clears his throat. "So tomorrow we hang out and see where it goes," he looks at me.

"Oh...okay," I nod. Headlights sweep over the jeep and I look out of the window.

"That's Kull," Mason says. We exit the jeep as Kullen jumps out of his truck with my bags.

"I'll leave the door open," he tells us walking to the house.

"You sure you want to stay here, you can come home with me," Mason offers.

"No, Kullen is nice. I know he won't try anything," I smile.

"He better not or I'll break his legs," Mason scoffs. "Call me in the morning and I'll come get you when you're ready."

"Okay," I agree. "Night."

"Night, Ruby," Mason says. He leans down to press a soft kiss on my cheek then leaves me. I wait until the taillights fade off in the distance before turning to the house. Kullen is in the kitchen when I walk inside.

"All good?"

"I guess," I reply.

"I'll show you to the room," he waves me after him and I walk down the hall. His house is rather large and I don't think I've ever seen all the way back here. "Here you go, bathroom's in there. The door locks," he winks. "Wouldn't want Mason kicking my ass."