Chapter 23

Ruby

Mason and I turn off the lights in the kitchen after we clean up. His parents are already in bed and it feels strange to be here, usually I'm cool with staying over in Jade's house and treat it like my own but staying with your boyfriend, that's a whole other level. Mason takes my hand when he sets the alarm and we walk up the stairs together. He shows me into his sister's room and to her bathroom.

"I'll grab you a shirt to sleep in," he says quietly. I wait for him to come back and take the shirt from his hand. "Are you sure you're okay, I can drive you if you're uncomfortable." His hands slide along my cheeks.

"I'm okay, thanks for the shirt," I smile.

"No problem, I'd prefer to see you in mine not Rory's," he says then kisses me softly. I want it to last longer but I don't want to disrespect his family.

"Go," I smile in between kisses.

"I don't want to."

"I know," I tell him and hug him again then push him away. "Go."

He grins at me and swoops in for another kiss before closing the door behind himself. Madison's room is nice and comfortable it's a light grey, and pink with fluffy throw pillows on the bed. Using the bathroom I change into Mason's shirt and smile when I catch his scent. Sliding into the soft bed I can't help the groan because this bed is amazing compared to mine. My phone lights up and I snatch it off the bedside table.

Mason: It's weird knowing that you're in the next room.

Me: How?

Mason: Because I want you to be in here with me.

Me: Really.

Mason: Yes really. Are you ok?

Me: Yes this bed is really nice J I think I'll stay.

Mason: No way, my bed is better.

Me: I'll let you know in the morning, goodnight.

My face hurts from smiling at Mason's texts. I know what he means though. Him just beyond the wall is all to tempting but I'm not that courageous especially with his parents here. Turning off the light I close my eyes to sleep.

Waking up with a start I glance around the room, wondering where I am. My heart is pounding and my body is sticky with sweat. It takes me a minute to remember that I'm at Mason's house. I'm not sure why I had that weird dream but it's left me shaken and a little scared. Climbing out of the bed, I check my phone, 5am. Mason said that the alarm allows us to walk around but not open any doors I just need some water. Opening the door I glance out into the hallway before exiting the room. Madison's room is next to the stairs so I creep down like a burglar to the kitchen. It's dark but I can see okay with the glow of the nightlight in the corner. Opening the fridge, I pull out the juice and then get a glass as quietly as possible. Closing the fridge I turn back to the counter but the light turns on making me squeak.

"Oh, sorry," Mr. Baker says. "I thought I'd heard someone down here."

"I'm sorry," I say, while strangling the juice bottle.

"Don't worry about it. Can't sleep?" he asks moving by me to the coffee pot.

"I had a bad dream," I reply quietly.

"Ah, Mason scaring you even in your dreams," he teases and I can't help but laugh.

"Would you like some coffee, I have to leave for work soon," he says as he opens the fridge again to get the eggs. I've never seen a fridge so full even in Jade's house.