Chapter 41

Ruby

Last night I was too tired to function. The bed was soft and I was asleep in seconds. Now that I've had a chance to wake up, the room I'm in is soft cream with hints of color throughout. The floor is polished wood with a large cream rug that feels so soft under my bare feet with colors here and there. The curtains match the rug and bed cover, there are throw pillows of different solid pastel colors for the bed, and the furniture is white.

"Ruby," my mom knocks on the door.

"I'm awake," I reply. She walks into the room with a smile, wearing a dressing gown over her pajamas.

"How did you sleep?" she asks, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Really well, thank you," I tell her.

"We have a few things to do today, how would you like to go for breakfast?"

"Oh, I don't mind," I tell her because I'm unsure of what to do now that I'm here.

"Great, have you seen the bathroom?" Shaking my head she motions for me to follow her. The bathroom is big, about the size of my room at Bridget's house. My mom shows me where the towels are and toiletries.

"I'm not sure what you like so I bought a few," she says sheepishly.

"You didn't have to buy me anything," I assure her.

She tilts her head and looks at me for a few seconds then takes my hands in hers.

"Of course we do Ruby, that's our job," she whispers and her eyes become glassy.

We look at each other for a while then she clears her throat and lets me shower. The drive out of the neighborhood has me tensing up. I don't even know where I am I don't recognize anything. Last night I was too busy reliving Mason's kiss to pay attention to my surroundings, now though, I wish I did. We arrive at some big building that looks like another house. My parents climb out so I follow them while looking around at the bare trees.

"Are you warm enough," my dad asks.

"Yes," I reply. I have on my leather jacket that I'd gotten for my birthday. When we enter the building, I realize it's a restaurant of some kind. My parents are greeted by name and we sit at a fancy table amongst other guests. Lifting the menu, I read the breakfast list with a heavy heart. I'm not used to this at all. I order an omelet because that's all I recognize. Breakfast is quiet, the other guests talk quietly, and even the staff seems to murmur. I'd prefer the diner any day but I have to give this a shot. After breakfast we drive to another large building located up a hill.

"Where are we?" I ask when I notice girls walking around in white shirts and navy skirts.

"This is Crafton Prep," my dad says. "It's a really great school."

"School," I squeak. They both turn to look at me with curious eyes. My heart beats faster as I shake my head. "I can't...no...I," looking at them I plead with my eyes.

"It's okay Ruby, we can come back another day," mom says.

"No, never," I shake my head. "Are we still in Crafton?"

"Yes," dad answers with a frown.

"Can we go, please?"

He doesn't say anything else but turns the car around while I breathe deeply in the back. My hands shake and I close my eyes for a minute, when I open them my mom is watching me.

"What is it," she asks.

Shaking my head I turn to the window so I can see exactly where the hell I am. When we arrive at the police station, I jump out of the car glad of the fresh air. Mason's mom pushes out of the doors and I run to her.