Chapter 21

Ruby

Once Cassidy and Rory leave I climb into the front seat of the jeep. Mason smiles at me then reverses out onto the street. He drives to the freeway and I feel myself deflate because I don't want to return to my life. Mason takes my hand as he drives back to Sand Brook, rubbing his thumb across my knuckles. When he pulls off the freeway again I glance at my small town.

"You feel like a walk?" he asks.

"Yeah," I agree maybe a little to eager. Mason pulls into the cove and parks by the small gate. We climb out and he takes my hand again. We walk onto the beach and back to the rocks, climbing up to the top Mason smiles at me.

"It's peaceful up here," he says.

"It is, I like it," I agree. Checking my watch I frown at the time because I didn't feel the day going. Mason sits down on the rock and pulls me between his legs. Resting my back against his chest he wraps his arms around me. We watch the ocean in the distance for a while in silence.

"Do you remember your parents," he asks.

"Not really. Only bits and pieces," I reply. "I do remember we had a nice house. I always loved it. I think I felt safe," I say with a shrug.

"Do you not feel safe now?"

"Not really, I mean you have seen my neighborhood," I say to him.

"I wish you lived in Crafton," he says then kisses my temple.

"Oh," I reply.

"I don't mean that in a bad way, I just wish I could see you everyday," he tells me.

"Same here and going to the same school would be nice."

"Yes it would," he hugs me tighter then kisses my face a few times. The sun is starting to set behind us casting pink and orange hues in the sky. Taking out my phone I glance at Mason over my shoulder and he smiles. "Let me guess we're not official until it's on Facebook," he laughs.

"No, I just want a picture of us with the sunset," I reply then hold up my camera. We smile at each other through the phone and I snap the picture. Mason tickles me then and I tilt sideways, laughing. "Stop, you'll make me wet myself," I squirm. He laughs harder but stops tickling me. Once I sit up again I stay sideways so that I can see him.

"I had fun last night," he says.

"Me too and Cass is nice, I wasn't sure at first," I admit.

"Same here," he shrugs. The sun get's lower now bathing us in half-light. "We should get moving," he says.

"Okay, school tomorrow," I sigh. We drive back into town and Mason stops outside the diner. He just smiles at me then jumps out of the jeep and comes around to the passenger side.

"We never got dinner or desert," he grins at me.

"How are you even hungry," I laugh. "We ate pizza about three hours ago."

"Exactly, three hours ago, I'm dying here," he pretends to fall down making me laugh. The diner is pretty busy and I spot most of my class in here. Mason just smiles at waitress as we are seated. We browse the menu and I mentally calculate how much I have left especially after yesterdays splurge.

"What's good, I'm tired of burgers," Mason asks me.

"Oh, the country fried steak is good or the roast chicken."

"Which one are you getting?"

"Salad," I smile. "That's all I can afford right now." I'm not sure why I said it but I feel my face burn with embarrassment.