Chapter 40

Mason

When I hang up the phone I sit on the chair and scrub my face.

"This is crazy," Cassidy whispers.

"Yeah," I agree. Blowing out a deep breath, I sink into the chair.

"She'll be fine Mase," Rory tells me.

"I know, I'm happy for her. It's amazing and crazy," I look at him.

"She won't forget you Mason," Cassidy says then wipes her tears.

Rory hugs her and smiles, "I think you're hoping she doesn't forget you," he says then kisses her.

"So," she sniffs. "You didn't grow up with four brothers and Ruby is a real friend not like Melanie or Sam," she wipes her eyes again.

The front door bangs closed then Madison strolls into the kitchen, she smiles at us then stops.

"Who died," she whispers.

We burst out laughing and I shake my head. "No one Maddie, everything is good."

She walks over to us then sits on my lap, "then why is everyone sad," she asks.

"Ah, well," I sigh. "Ruby just got some news and we're happy for her."

"Oh," she doesn't look convinced but takes my answer.

"Shouldn't you be in bed already," I ask.

"Mom said I could hang out with Siobhan for an extra hour," she pats my head like a dog then skips out of the kitchen.

"I need a drink," Rory sighs.

Mom walks into the room looking at us with a wary expression.

"Anyone hungry," she asks. We all shake our heads and she sighs at us. "You guys have to eat."

"I could use a drink Mrs. B," Rory tells her in a deadpan way.

My mom opens the fridge taking out three beers and walking over to us. "If you rat me out I'll deny it. You two," she points to Cass and Rory. "Can stay tonight, I doubt Mason will sleep," she says giving me a sad look.

"Thanks Mrs. Baker but I've got a lot of homework," Cassidy says. "I have to go anyway."

"Night Cass," I tell her. She waves to me as Rory walks her out.

"You should sleep Mason," mom says.

"I will, later. Thanks for providing alcohol to a minor," I grin cracking open the beer.

"Just this once and don't make me regret it Mason," she warns.

"I won't, thank you."

I think my mom is really taking this senior year thing to a whole new level, I don't like to drink anyway, I just need it tonight. When Rory returns he cracks open his drink and we salute each other. The house is quiet now and we move to the sitting room, neither of us feels the need to talk though. I watch the clock for thirty minutes then text my dad.

Me: Hi dad, any news?

Dad: She just met her parents. Go to bed.

Me: nope

Dad: fine, I'll be home soon.

Grinning, I put my phone away.

"That Ruby?"

"No, my dad he said she just met her parents. He'll be home soon, I can grill him then," I smile.

"Turning the tables," Rory asks.