Chapter 29

Ruby

"Cool shirt," Madison says.

"Thanks, I got it yesterday," I reply. I still don't know how to talk to Mason's sister. I've only seen her twice since I started dating Mason but she apparently thinks I'm great.

"You want to come swim?" she asks.

"No thanks, I think Mason is taking me out somewhere," I reply. "Maybe next time."

"Oh okay," she seems disappointed.

"It was my birthday yesterday but Mason was away so we're celebrating today," I say to ease her sadness.

"Oh, happy birthday," she grabs my hand, pulling me outside to the back garden. I didn't get to see it last time I was here. The pool sits toward the right hand corner leaving a large garden to the left. I never realized how big it was back here.

"I have cupcakes," Madison says opening a box on the table. I see a few of her friends looking at us and immediately feel self-conscious. Some of them are far more developed than I am and I'm four years older. "Have one," she smiles at me.

"Thank you," reaching into the box I take one out.

"Oh your nails are cute," she says gripping my hand again. Siobhan walks over to us, squeezing out her hair.

"Hey Ruby," she greets.

"Hi."

"Are you hijacking my girl," Mason asks stepping out to the patio. His arms wrap around my waist and he kisses my cheek.

"Gross Mason," Siobhan says then winks at us.

"I'm heading out can you tell dad I was here for a while," he says to Madison.

"What's it worth?" she asks and I laugh.

"I'll love you forever," Mason replies sweetly.

"You already love me forever," she rolls her eyes.

"Forever and ever," he says then. Madison pretends to think it over all while a smile plays on her lips.

"Will you take me out to dinner tomorrow?" she asks.

"Sure," Mason agrees.

"Okay then."

Stepping around me he hugs her and kisses her head again, "okay, see you later Maddie bear. Be safe, no running on the concrete," he says loudly to everyone.

"Get out Mason," Madison pushes him like she's annoyed but she is beaming at him. Mason takes my hand leading me around the side of the house back to the driveway.

"I didn't know you had a pool," I say.

"Yeah, Madison mostly uses it," he says jumping into the jeep. "I try to be gone as much as possible," he smiles at me.

"Okay so where are we going now?" I ask, the cupcake still in my hand.

"Surprise," he winks.

We drive down the freeway for about forty minutes before Mason exits. I look at the scenery as we drive along a two lane back road then he turns onto a dirt road making us rock side to side. Lifting my hand I keep my cupcake safe until we reach an open field.

"What's this place?" I ask.

"You'll see," Mason says as he climbs out. "Come on Ruby," he tells me while crooking his finger. Leaving the jeep I follow him outside where he produces a blanket for us to sit on. "Are you going to eat that or hold it all day?"