Chapter 42

Ruby

Three months later...

The cafeteria is a buzz with talk of the Valentines dance in a few days. Mason hasn't asked me so I have a plan to ask him later tonight. He kisses my cheek when he sits down to eat.

"Candy gram," a student calls out and rings a bell. I've never seen this before so I watch as he calls out girls' names walking over to give them candy.

"Ruby Grey," he shouts.

"Here," Cassidy points to me making me turn beet red. The guy walks over to me with a smile.

"Happy Valentines day Ruby Grey," he says, handing me a giant Hersey's kiss. I glance at Mason who is smiling at me.

"You?" I ask and he shrugs. "Idiot," I smile then kiss him. "Thank you."

"Anytime baby."

The guy moves away then comes back handing over six more pieces of candy to me. My eyes widen and my cheeks flush. He also gives four to Mason causing Rory to laugh.

"Oh, trouble in Baker land," he teases.

"Which of you feckers is sending my girl candy," Mason asks the table. Rory, Kullen, Cassidy, and three guys I don't know yet all raise their hands. "Good job," Mason grins.

"Who is sending you candy?" I ask while nudging him.

"Sam, Melanie, and some other cheerleaders," Rory says.

Mason just sighs, shoving the candy to the middle of the table. "I only want your candy," he says.

"Damn Baker, that's my cousin," Kullen pretends to be annoyed.

"Oh my god," I hide my face against Mason's shoulder while he laughs.

"I'm sorry baby, that came out totally wrong," he hugs me and laughs harder.

After lunch, Rory and I go to art class where he keeps me entertained. The teachers here are not as laid back as Sand Brook and I do miss Mr. Harrison's style of teaching. After class I walk with Rory to the parking lot where Mason is waiting for us. We agree to meet with everyone later because Mason said he wants to hang out with me alone. The last few weeks have been hard to get alone time with me getting to know my parents and spending time with them. Mason had football, where he kicked Bret's ass, which made me happy.

"Where are we going," I ask him.

"You'll see." We get drive thru then he drives to our secret spot. I love it here with him. "Ready to eat?"

"Yes," hopping out of the jeep I carry the food and Mason gets the blanket. We settle down together to eat, me sitting between his legs. Mason holds me close while we eat in silence, we don't have to talk to know what each other is saying. We've become one of those scary couples that can talk with their eyes. After we eat I lie down to watch the planes fly over.

"Are you mad that you should be a freshman in college," he asks.

"No, I don't remember repeating second grade," I reply. "I missed a lot of school that year anyway," I shrug. He just nods and continues to eat. We lapse into silence but it's a good kind. I've told Mason all about what I can remember of that night and the few months that followed. He's been great with me, and my family, they love him too, and my mom always asks about him. Rhett couldn't stay too long when we were reunited but my parents have planned a week long cruise for spring break so that we can get to know each other and have quality time together.

I'm jealous of Mason though, Rory is bringing him back to Ireland for the week and I've been informed that Mason will be 'pissed' all week. In other words he will be drunk, according to Rory that is. Cassidy is pouting because she's not invited but they've been planning this trip for a year now. But we have the next few weeks together and a dance I want to go to.

"You okay," he asks resting next to me.

"Yes," I smile. His lips press into mine. "Mason?"

"Ruby," he replies but keeps kissing me.

"I'm trying to ask you something," I laugh.

"Go for it," he lifts up off of me so I can talk.

"I wanted to ask you to the dance."

Mason frowns then sighs, "you're too late Ruby I've already been asked by a few girls."

"What?" I look at him and he shrugs. Wrapping my arms around his neck I pull him closer. "That's grounds for divorce," I whisper.

"Oh it is?" he smiles. I nod in return. "In that case it's a good job I already sent them packing."

"Lucky you," I grin up at him. He kisses me some more and I love the feel of his lips on mine. "Why did you get me that giant kiss?" I ask between kissing him.

He smiles at me, "because that's how we started baby, with a #kiss."

I can't stop the smile that splits my face for him. Sliding my hands up the back of his shirt, I feel the heat of his skin.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"Showing how much I love you," I whisper.

"I love you too," he kisses me. "Now don't let me stop you." He smiles brightly.

Pulling off his shirt I kiss him with all my heart.

THE END

If you liked this story please vote :)