Chapter 39

Ruby

"Ruby," a woman calls. Opening my eyes I look into the soft brown ones that are the same as Mason's. "Hi sweetie."

"Hi," I reply then sit up. Mason's mom smiles at me and tucks my hair behind my ear.

"How are you doing?" she asks.

"I don't know," I reply quietly.

"I bet," she says. "How would you like to have a quick shower and put on some clothes, although I do like your pj's," she says.

"Thanks," I smile at her. "A shower sounds good."

We leave the room together and walk up the stairs to the women's locker room. There are a few women putting on their uniform inside and they all look at me.

"Madalyn," one of them says.

"I need to talk to you," Mason's mom says to her. "Now, here you go," she says to me opening a door. The bathroom has four stalls and one big shower stall. "I got some of your clothes and toiletries. I'll just be outside when you're ready."

"Thank you," I say taking my bag from her hand.

"You're a really strong girl Ruby," she says.

When she leaves me alone I open the stall door. The shower is set against the back wall with a small wooden bench by the door. Opening my bag I remove a towel and my clothes. She must have gone to my house to get them, which leaves me wondering did they get all of my stuff. Stripping down, I step under the hot water and scrub my hair and body. My stomach growls loudly but I can't think about food right now. Exiting the shower room I find Mrs. Baker sitting on the bench waiting for me.

"All set," she asks.

"Sure," I nod.

We walk back to the room together and I feel like I'm in prison.

"Are you hungry, Ruby?"

"I can't eat right now," I tell her, sitting in the chair. "How long do I have to be here?"

"A while, I'm afraid. Investigators are at your house talking with Bridget. I was there for a while and got some of your clothes, I have them at my desk," she smiles.

"Did you get my computer? I have to get everything," I tell her.

"You will, just not right now. Today we have to figure out what happened to you," she says.

"I told Mr. Baker earlier what I remember," I sigh.

"I know sweetie but these things take time and..." she looks at me. "There are people here that want to see you. It's been a really long time for them."

Her heartfelt words penetrate my brain but they don't make me warm and fuzzy, they chill me to the core and leave me feeling scared and alone. After a few minutes Dr. Bay returns and I sigh through my nose, Mason's mom looks at me with a small smirk then turns away.

"Ruby, how are you feeling?" she asks.

"Fine, I want to get out of here. I have school and stuff to do," I reply folding my arms.

"You'll get to that," she smiles. "I'm here if you need to talk things through."

"No offense Dr. Bay," I say even as my cheeks heat up. "I don't want to talk to you. I'd like my phone so that I can call someone," I say glancing at Mason's mom.

"Your phone is in evidence Ruby," Mrs. Baker says.

"Why, it's mine, I bought it," I sit forward on the chair. "I got it myself out of my own paycheck."