Chapter 16

Ruby

My body trembles as I pull back on my shoes, I slip my phone into the back pocket of my jeans and lock my room. Once I'm back outside I walk to the jeep where Mason is standing with his head down and his hands in his pockets.

"Hi," I breathe when I get close.

"Hey," he looks up at me and smiles. "I'm sorry for just showing up like this."

"It's okay, I have a few hours before work," I assure him. "You want to go for a drive?" I ask only because I know a nice jeep like that would be jacked in five minutes here.

"Sure," he nods then opens the door he's put back on. I watch him round the hood and climb inside before directing him to the small cove we have. When we arrive it's empty, not too many people our age come here during the day. The beach is mostly made up of stones with a little bit of sand closest to the water.

"It's quiet," he says looking out at the sea.

"Yeah, I like it here," I admit with a smile. "So," I look at him.

He smiles then steps onto the stones so I follow him. We walk side by side for a few minutes before he speaks again.

"I wasn't sure what the protocol was," he looks at me.

"What do you mean?"

"For seeing you again, I know some guys don't call the next day and stuff," he shrugs.

"I don't mind seeing you," I tell him. "I was actually wondering whether to text you or not, I don't want to be a stalker," I confess with a smile.

"I told you to text me anytime," he chuckles. "I don't mind, honestly."

"Thanks, so what brought you all the way out here?" I bite my lip to stop the stupid grin threatening to split my face. Mason blows out a long sigh and shoves his hands deeper into his pockets.

"Apart from you," he says. "I just needed to get away from the house."

"I'm sorry," I reply.

"For?" he teases.

"You seem sad," I hedge. "I'm a good listener if you want to talk."

He smiles then takes my hand in his and I feel the warmth spread up my arm. Mason doesn't say anything for a while as we walk down the cove. The sound of the sea in the distance is nice and the crunch of our steps on the stones.

"I told you my parents were cops," he says and I nod. "Well mom is a detective and dad is now an instructor at the academy. He was shot a few years ago when he was on the SWAT team but I don't know, they've been arguing lately," he shrugs.

"Oh, do you know what about?"

"Me, apparently," he frowns. "I don't know why because neither of them have explained it to me. I mean I follow all my dads' rules. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs." He shrugs. "I told my mom about you," he looks down at me and my steps falter. Mason chuckles.

"Does she think I'm a stalker?" I ask.

"Not at all, she actually thought we were dating for a while by that picture," he looks a little bashful and I see his cheeks tint a little.

"What can I say, I have one of those faces," I joke.

"What face is that?"

"The sweet ones most killers have," I laugh. Mason shakes his head and laughs at me too but that was my point.