Chapter 36

Mason

By the time I get home from dropping Ruby off it's after midnight. I'm tired and cold. I told her I'd pick her up early in the morning so that we can get a start on the cars again, this time I'll see if Rory can come with us.

"Hey dad," I say closing the door. He gives me a tight smile then sips from a glass. "Everything alright?" I ask taking a seat across from him.

"Yeah," he sighs. "What about you?"

"I'm good, I was helping Ruby try find a car today but she doesn't have a big budget."

"Oh, what type of car," he asks.

"An old one," I sigh. "She only has two thousand to spend."

He looks at me for a while then clears his throat. "What do her parents do?"

"Oh, they died when she was a kid, she's been in foster care," I tell him.

"Foster care," he looks shocked.

"Yeah but now her foster mom wants her out because she's eighteen. It's a mess dad and before you tell me I'm ruining my life, don't, please."

He doesn't reply to my statement making me wonder just how much he's had to drink. On a normal day he'd blow up at me for talking back.

"What are you doing tomorrow," he asks.

"Checking out more cars but I'll bring McBride with us, you know how he is," I grin.

"Okay, get to bed then you've a long day ahead of you," he says.

"Yeah, okay. See you tomorrow." He gives me a nod so I leave the room walking up the stairs slowly. Climbing into bed, I text Rory that I need him tomorrow then text Ruby.

Me: Night beautiful.

Ruby: goodnight, I was almost asleep.

Me: Sorry babe. See you tomorrow.

When I get up I have a fast shower not bothering to shave today.

"Morning family," Rory shouts, when he let's himself into the house.

"Can you be any louder," I ask with a laugh.

"Did you lose your razor, dipshit," he grins.

Walking past the living room I spot my dad sleeping on the chair he was in last night. Rory shrugs but shuts his mouth. I push him out of the house before he can wake my dad up.

"What's with the old man," he asks.

"Don't know, he was like that when I got home last night," I tell him.

"Weird, now that I'm out of bed early on a Sunday I take it breakfast is on you," he says.

"Yeah but I need to grab Ruby first," I pull onto the empty freeway. "I fucking hate that house but I hate that she has to leave it." I explain to him what happened yesterday when we arrived. He doesn't say much but I see his jaw ticking. For all Rory's roughness he's very protective when it comes to his little sister or other girls that men prey upon. Pulling up outside Ruby's house I text her that we're here. She comes out straight away with a big smile.

"Hi," she greets jumping in the back seat.

"What's the story morning glory," Rory says to her.

"Hey," she pats his shoulder. Turning in my seat I catch a quick kiss from her.

"Finally, you two idiots made up."

Ruby laughs at him and I sigh because what's the point in saying anything. We hit the road back to Crafton and I pull into the diner. Rory tells me he's ordering everything on the menu.