Chapter 38

Mason

Swallowing the last of the cereal, I put the bowl in the dishwasher and call Madison again.

"We have fifteen more minutes," she says.

"I have to leave early today, let's go," I shout up the stairs to her.

She runs down the stairs with her backpack swinging behind her and complaining about me making up my own rules. "You can walk to school," I tell her locking the door to the house.

"You're so mean lately," she huffs, climbing in the back.

"Stop Madison, I have to get to school early, okay," I tell her. I drive around to get Rory and Siobhan who are standing outside their house waiting.

"Hey," Rory says. "Its colder than a snowman's balls," he says rubbing his hands together.

"Say that again," I agree. We drop the girls off at the middle school then drive to our school.

"So why are we early?" he asks.

"Surprise, is Cass on her way?"

"I guess, why? Are you two going to go at it again?"

"No," I tell him. When we get to school I park in his spot and smile. I want to see what Ruby painted on mine yesterday. Hopping out of the jeep, I get my camera ready then check my space.

Ruby loves Mason 4 Ever

Snapping a photo, I grin like a fool, but I don't care. We walk to Cassidy's parking space.

"What the hell," Rory asks looking down. "Who did this?"

"Ruby, we did it yesterday," I tell him.

"She's gonna flip her lid," he says. I tug his arm when I spot the silver Honda and press record on my phone. Cassidy does not look impressed to see me but I just wait. She smiles at Rory then goes to turn but slams on her breaks. "She's brutal," Rory sighs. Cassidy jumps out of her car and runs to the front.

"Oh my god," she looks at us. "Did you," she asks Rory who shakes his head then points to me. Cassidy blinks a few times while I record her.

"Ruby did it, I just held the paint," I tell her.

"Thank you," she says to me. Turning off the camera I give her a nod. "I mean it, thank you to you and Ruby."

Another student beeps at her so she has to park her car much to her disappointment. The three of us walk into school together with Cassidy gushing about the parking space.

"Is Ruby at school already?" she asks.

"I guess, she hasn't texted me yet," I reply. Stopping at my locker I drop off some books. Rory is a few lockers down on the opposite wall and Cassidy is across for him. Pressing the phone to my ear I listen while it rings but Ruby doesn't answer. I text her the video of Cassidy's reaction so she can see it.

"Let's go," Rory shouts to me.

"Coming," I slam my door then jog after him.

"Where's Kullen," I ask, sliding into my seat in the cafeteria.

"Do I look like his da?"

"Well, if I squint with this eye..." I reply earning a fry in the face from Rory. "I don't know, call him."

"Nah, he's probably in the jaxx," he says.

Jaxx- toilet to us Americans.

"Hey, I texted Ruby but she hasn't replied," Cassidy says arriving at our table.