Chapter 27

Ruby

Cassidy and I are leaving her house after having breakfast. Her parents leave early for work so we were clear to stay in bed. I called my school for my day off and Mrs. Lake said she understood that she knew Mr.Tistle too. I didn't want to be reminded of it but I'm allowing myself to experience today at the mall without sadness.

"So are we ready to rock?" Cassidy asks.

"Yes," I nod. True to her word she loaned me clean clothes and we wear the same size shoe so I have on a pair of her ballet flats. "Thank you for the clothes," I tell her when I get into the car.

"No worries," she smiles. "I've only been to this mall when it opened a few months ago but it's really nice." We drive to the mall listening to the radio, Cassidy sings along and chair dances all the way. I've texted Mason because he sent me a 'good morning' text at six this morning. Cassidy parks in what looks like a park so I look around me in confusion.

"Ha," she laughs. "I know right, it's crazy."

We walk through the parking lot/park to the outdoor mall. It has five streets that cris-cross full of stores. Cass is like Jade when it comes to fashion, she knows everything and is up on all the trends. I'm not to bad but I don't follow trends that much because I can't afford them. We enter one store that is color coordinated and browse the racks.

"What do you think of this?" she asks, holding up a gold tank top.

"No way," I frown it looks weird. She puts it back and we continue to look around. I find a cute shirt that has designer paint splashes on it and a few strategically placed rips. "What do you think?" I ask holding it up for Cass to see.

"Oh, hot Ruby," she grins. "Mason will combust."

I laugh at her and hold the shirt in my hand, we continue around the store but I don't find anything else. At the register I take out my card when Cassidy tries to pay.

"Stop," I laugh and push her hand away giving the girl my card. She asks for my ID so I open my purse.

"Oh happy birthday," the girl says.

"What! Ruby," Cassidy looks at me.

"It's tomorrow," I shrug.

Once we leave the store she complains that I should have told her it was my birthday and now we have to get our nails done in celebration. She marches me to the nail bar and we take a seat. Cassidy shows me some designs to choose from. I settle for a soft pink with a gold tip like a French manicure. The lady starts her work on my hands so I watch what she is doing. Cassidy gets a mint green with black designs on hers. The lady asks if I want to add a diamonte.

"Yes, she does," Cass replies and smiles at me. The lady adds a few stones to my ring finger then I'm done. "They look great Ruby," Cassidy looks at me.

"Thanks, I've never gotten my nails done before," I shrug.

"Oh my god, I'm going to spoil the shit out of you," she laughs. Cassidy pays for both our nails much to my protest but she refused to let me pay. "Now we need something that goes with that sexy shirt," she points to my shopping bag. Entering another store we look at jeans. I pick up a black pair of skinny jeans wondering how girls even fit in them.

"Ooh they look cute you should try them on," she says.

"They're tiny," I say putting them back.

"Ruby, no offense but you to, are tiny," she hands me the jeans then pushes me into the changing room. I manage to get them on easily enough then step out to her.