Chapter 18

Mason

This whole week has been busy with practice and my family drama. Rory has been asking what's going on with Ruby because of all the photos on her profile page but I'm not sure. I haven't heard a word from her so I'm assuming that she is fake breaking up with me or has broken up with me. I mean the photos show her getting cozy with that douchebag. Coach gives us his pep talk before we leave the locker room to a cheering crowd.

"I see Sam is trying to get your attention," Rory grins at me.

"Still not interested and never will be."

"Aw, desperate times Mase," he jokes.

"Fuck off and keep those players in line," I shove him a little. The game is pretty intense and coach is yelling at me for every play. I really just want to throw the ball at him at this stage.

"Okay, let's get this done," I tell they guys because I'm tired and sore. "Blackjack."

"You make the stupidest names up," Kullen snorts at me.

"Just play and shut up," I snap.

"Oh Baker not getting some tonight," he laughs.

Shaking my head I clear it of all the bullshit going on at home and concentrate on what I have to do. Calling the play, snapping the ball, and getting it into the air as fast as possible. I watch Kullen's stupid ass race down the field catching the ball for the winning touchdown. Everyone is screaming and cheering and I'm bombarded with people on all sides. Samantha is trying to get close again and Rory rescues me making a path with his helmet to block her.

"Back up," he shouts at them.

Lifting my head I look up to see Ruby standing in front of me with a smile. My feet stop of their own accord as we just look at each other.

"Dude," Kullen jumps onto my back. "Party tonight," he laughs, swinging out of me.

"Yeah," I agree. The girl beside Ruby gives her a shove making her trip over her own feet. Dropping my helmet I catch her before she eats dirt.

"Hi," she looks at me.

"Hey," I reply quietly. "What are you doing here?"

"Surprise," she says while her cheeks flame with embarrassment.

"Let's shower," Rory says and nods to Ruby.

"Can I wait for you," she asks me.

"Sure, I'll meet you at my jeep. It's out front," I tell her.

Rory drags me away scolding me as he does.

"What are you doing? You saw the posts on her facebook," he says.

"I know but maybe she needs to breakup with me," I explain.

"Yeah right, do you think I'm stupid," he rolls his eyes at me. "I'm not thick you know I can see it on your face."

"I'm going to shower," I tell him walking away. I want to see her even if it is to say goodbye. After my shower I dress slowly trying to prolong the inevitable, maybe she just wants to get it over with fast. I shouldn't make a big deal about really, I should just take it like a man and wish her well because that's the right thing to do, so why do I feel like this? Grabbing my bag, I sling it over my shoulder and make my way out of the locker room behind Rory and Kullen. The parking lot is pretty empty now with most of the locals gone home or out to eat. Rory glances at me just before we reach the jeep but I pretend not to see it. Ruby is standing by the back wheel with three other girls. They all look our way and Kullen grins at them.