Things I'm Crazy About

Languages.

I'm crazy about languages. Most particularly my native tongue, English, and the one I've studied most besides that -- Latin.

I'm fascinated by the sound of words, and the way they look written out. The delightful way a particular word seems to embody its meaning so exactly. Fascinated by the myriad ways in English to construct a sentence, and the subtle changes of meaning in which such constructions can result. The nuances of a word, the connotations that make it different from technically-according-to-the-dic-a-synonym. Fascinated by the history of our language, different accents, dialects and time periods.

Most of you probably know I enjoy the old style of writing. Archaisms. Inverted sentence structure. Why would I like it so much? Why can't I be satisfied with modern English?

Because, the simple answer is, I'm not ready for that old English to die.

I don't want us to go back to speaking like 1800's pastors and presidents. But my point is that language reflects culture. And our culture is flippant.

We have to make levity about everything. We're losing words, words like "grandeur" and "wondrous", words that lift our thoughts on high planes to contemplate glorious, sober awe -- and we're not replacing them with anything else. They're not there. You name me one modern phrase that can encapsulate the scope of "grandeur", and I will take it back -- but I doubt you can.

We need to fight to keep our language beautiful. We need to use words that mean things. Our language cannot become bland and unassertive. Let us strive to keep it rich and full of words. Funny words -- sickening words -- glad words -- terrible words -- awesome words... words of power, words for the scope of human thought, words to write with. The way we speak is the way we think.

And that other thing I'm crazy about?

THE CALF THE CALF OH MY GOODNESS THE CALF

This calf is about three or four days old and I AM IN LOVE WITH HER IDK WHY but she's so tiny and slim and dainty and black with a big white star on her forehead and her number is 2378, but I have named her Princess, and she will be mine, and she will be my Princess. And I've bottle-fed her three times... and I'm depressed 'cause I didn't get to today...

Yeah, I'm infatuated. And I still don't know why.