I'm Writing a Monster

Most of my books are written in the ordinary way. Front to back. Chapter 1 to Chapter *x*. Occasionally I have a burst of inspiration for something that comes later so I write it down to be inserted in appropriate place.

Book 4 of the Ceristen Series, the one that comes after The Claw, did not happen like this for some reason. When I started writing it, I began by writing a scene two-thirds of the way through the book. The title written on the front of the notebook is, "Random Chapters from The War, to be put in chronological order later".

Anyway, all that to say, this gives me a certain freedom with writing this book. In addition to that, it's not being posted on here right now. I feel like I can write whatever I want in it whenever. And quite a lot of it -- possibly a third by now -- has been written.

So I'm sitting around killing time one day when I decide to tally up the word count for all I've written so far in this book.

Now, to give you some perspective, The Journey is currently sitting at 54,500 words. The Village is longer by about a thousand words, though I expect it to gain a little bulk in future revision. The Claw is about a fifth of the way done by my estimate. 17,000 x 5 = a guess of 85k words for the total.

What I have written so far in the fourth book, a hazarded third of what the final product will be, is equal to roughly 68,000 words.

Seriously guys. I'm writing a monster.