Chapter 29

I felt so weak when I woke up the next morning. My muscles ached & my stomach made me feel as if I were going to throw up at any minute. I turned on my said & shockingly met eyes with the familiar hazel ones.

"Good morning," he smiled.

"Morning," I replied & faked a smile.

The cuts on his arm & side still bothered me. I was so curiously nosy to know why he'd do that to himself. I looked over my shoulder to realize Shay was gone.

"She's in the cafeteria," Spencer informed me.

I nodded.

"Spence," I began.

"Madds," he replied.

I looked away from his eyes as my fingers reached over & traveled over the scars that covered his skin. I gently swiped a finger over every mark before meeting his eyes again.

"The cat isn't an excuse anymore."

He looked away from me as his smile turned into a frown. I could see he was biting the inside of his cheek, probably to keep from crying.

"Why does it matter anymore?"

"Why doesn't it matter, Spence?"

"It's not that bad," he groaned.

"You're lying & you know it."

"Do you ever wonder what is life?"

"Please, don't change the subject on me," I turned his head to face me.

"But, I'm not. We all know that 'accident' from last night was no accident. And we both know that these scars aren't from the neighbor's cat."

"Then tell me why."

"Why what?" He asked.

"Why you did it." I was being too nosy & was probably making him feel a bit uncomfortable but I only wanted to know why.

"My home life is unsatisfying. You understand. And this," he nodded toward his scars," is my serenity from this hell I call life."

"Please, stop. I know it could get irritating by someone asking you to stop something you're addicted to that they don't understand yet but I can't have you hurting yourself."

"You can't have me hurting myself? Isn't that a bit selfish of you to think that way, Madison?"

What was up with this boy? He seemed so different.

"Maybe it is. But I've had too many people walk out of my life or leave me. I don't want someone who's as close as can be to me just leave me in an instant. I don't want to lose anymore people," I shook my head, "I don't want to lose you."

Spencer's frown soon turned into a smile, then a laugh. I stared at him confused for a moment until he finally replied.

"I hate to ruin the moment but, it sounds as if you've fallen in love with me, Juno."

I playfully rolled my eyes at him, "Of course you'd say that."

"Anywho," he smiled, "shouldn't you be calling your cousin about now."

Shit. That's what I forget.

"My phone's dead," I groaned.

"Shay left hers on the chair."

I nodded & rolled on to my other side. I reached over as far as I could to grab the phone but was unsuccessful.

"Ugh," I swayed my arm up & down then groaned, "it's too far!"