Chapter 28

"Where'd you go?" Shay asked as I stepped back into the waiting room.

"The nursery," I mumbled.

"Are you alright?"

'No, I'm not alright. One of our closest friends could be dead right now.'

I looked up at her & nodded, "Mhmmm. I'm fine."

She mouthed an 'okay' & sat back down in a chair.

I took a seat right next to her & checked my phone. I noticed several messages & missed calls from Austin & Eli. I decided not to call them back sense my battery was less than five percent. I placed my phone back in my pocket & looked towards Shay.

She had her head rested against her hand. Her eyes were closed as if she were asleep. I couldn't blame her. The past few hours have been so chaotic & tiring.I couldn't fall asleep though. I had to stay up just in case something happened to Spencer.

I looked over to the flat screen TV on the wall across from me. I stood up & pulled a chair over just below it. My feet stepped onto the chair before I fiddled with the buttons on the side of the TV.

I flipped through the channels until I found an old episode of friends. I stepped down from the chair & sat back down in my previous seat.

It was episode after episode for God knows how long before I checked my phone. I clicked the home button then realized it was dead after the fifth time of trying to turn it on.

I snuck over to Shay who was sound asleep. I very gently & slowly sneaked her phone out of the pouch of her hoodie & checked the time. It was just a little over three in the morning & still no news of Spencer. I sighed as I sat back down in my seat.

My eyes grew heavier by the next few minutes. I was close to falling asleep but I fought myself. I couldn't fall asleep just yet. Not until I know about Spencer. I felt myself growing more tired. A small nap wouldn't hurt. I laid my head against my hand & closed my eyes.

Not even a minute after I did this I heard someone step into the waiting room. My eyes fluttered open as I stared up at who I guessed was a doctor. He asked if I was a loved one of Spencer. I said yes as I shook Shay awake.

"He's awake if you'd like to visit with him," he informed us.

I nodded.

My legs stood up before I pulled up a half asleep Shay & basically dragged her out of the room as I followed the doctor.

"How is he?" I asked as we passed several different rooms with patients.

He didn't answer my question until his feet stopped at a door. He extended his arm out towards the room & spoke, "See for yourself."

I raised an eyebrow at him then shook it off before following Shay into the room. The doctor left before I could ask him anymore questions. I turned my heads to the person lying on the hospital bed.

Spencer looked.... normal. Except for his messy fringe & lack of black clothing, he looked perfectly fine. I looked over to Shay who still looked tired as hell but held a smile on her face while looking towards the teenage boy.

I smiled as he met eyes with me, "How are you doing, Spence?"

I waited for a 'fine' or 'okay' from him but instead received a confused look.

He cocked his head at me & slowly shook his head, "I'm sorry but, who are you two?"

I felt a part of me die inside from the question. The smile on my face faded before I felt my lip begin to tremble. Did he hit his head that hard when he fell? It didn't matter how it happened. It was the fact that he didn't know who we were.