Chapter 36

My phone continuously buzzed, waking me from my slumber. I turned off the alarm & lied in bed for several minutes, awaking myself. I finally crawled out of my comfy bed to ready myself in the bathroom.

I spent the whole day in the living room, watching the next few episodes of American Horror Story on Netflix. I felt so relaxed; it's what I needed. I was so comfortable & peaceful lying on the couch until Austin walked in.

He stepped in front of the TV, breaking my attention from the show I was now obsessed with.

"Yes?" I glanced up at him.

"We're leaving in twenty minutes for the dinner, okay?"

I groaned, growing at his words, "Do I have to go?"

He chuckled at my lack of enthusiasm, "Yes, Madds, you have to go. It's only a couple of hours with family, I think you'll survive."

I ran my fingers through my hair as I stood up from my previous spot on the couch, "If I die it's your fault."

"All blame will be on me. Now go get ready."

I quietly laughed at his words as I walked up to my room. I grabbed a black & red flannel to wear over a plain black shirt & a pair of jeans from my dresser to change into. It was upsetting to have to buy clothes a size or two larger now that a human was growing inside my womb. I still looked like a regular, anti social teenage girl, though.

"I need to look good for these bastards," I muttered to myself.

I felt somewhat bad for my words but they weren't the nicest people to be around. They were family but very shitty people.

I sighed to myself as I began to draw a very thin line of eyeliner below my eye. Next came the mascara, then came my hair. I simply straitened my hair, too lazy to curl it. I finished my attire with a pair of red Chuck Taylor's to match the sequence of reds on my flannel.

I took one last glance at myself in the mirror, smiling at my appearance, before walking back down to the living room.

"I'm ready," I announced while retrieving my jacket from the hallway closet.

I checked my phone for any notifications of some sort before meeting Austin in the entry way.

"Ready?" He asked while opening the door for me.

I walked through & nodded, "Mhmmm."

The car ride to the restaurant was mostly conversations over how to survive this havoc evening. We laughed over how annoying & horrible our family could be. It felt good to laugh over stuff that could be so horrific. Dark humor was a frequent must have in this family.

Before Austin & I stepped out of the car, he looked over to me, giving me a small smile, "Be nice, alright?"

"I'm always nice to the heathens. Are Jameson & Jase going to be here?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Most likely. Now let's go."

I smiled back as I stepped out of his Honda. I pulled my jacket tighter around my torso as I felt the cool winter air nip at my body. I felt that I was a bit underdressed but hey, I'm pregnant, nothing really fits anymore, & I'm keeping that as my excuse.

I sighed to myself as I followed Austin into the restaurant. We were lead to the back room, like any other year. Everyone was conversing with one another, the most fake smiles on their preppy faces.

I smiled when I saw Jameson & Jase. I gave them a simple hug & hello before my eyes met with my father's. The last time I'd seen him was the night he slapped me in the kitchen. The memory sent chills down my spine. But I did notice how much healthier he looked. He wasn't as skinny as before & there was life in his face.