Chapter 34

"Maddie, is everything okay? You sound... scared," Ashton asked, concern easily made out in his voice.

"I don't know," I sighed, "I need to know more about Niall."

It wasn't until then did I feel my insides turn over. My mind was clustered with thoughts of the blonde haired Prince Charming. If he was hurt, I was hurt. Even though we weren't a thing anymore, I still felt pain when I knew he wasn't doing too well.

"I told you, he's different. He's so... so.... depressed."

His last word broke my heart into pieces. I pictured a depressed Niall, again. It killed me to think of my, well what used to be my, Ni like that.

When we were together, he was so cheerful, so full of energy. He was such a joy to be around; he was the one to make you smile when you were sad. I could be over thinking it all, maybe I wasn't, but it still was painful to hear he was so down.

Ashton continued on, "I believe it's about you. Not in a bad way, just that he misses you."

"Did he say that?" My voice cracked as I asked.

"Well, no, but I know it's about you. He loves you, Maddie. I know it, trust me, I do. For the whole time I've known him, he's never acted this way towards a girl. He was so happy, so ecstatic when he was with you. He thought of you as his everything."

I was his everything? I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to. The fact that I was his everything but now I'm probably nothing to him hurts me.

Ashton could be right. He could be so down about losing me but I seriously doubt that. Why would he, a twenty year old man in the world's biggest boy band, want to stay with an average girl like me. It made no sense.

Maybe it was true love? Or maybe it was an idiotic teen love that lasts a month or two. I wanted to know what it was but I wasn't ready to see him again. I didn't want to face him & hear an 'I never want to see you again'.

Hell, he is famous, it wouldn't surprise me. Yet it would. He was so sweet, so nice. Although, that could be only for the camera & publicity.

'No one knew about you two, Madds.'

Exactly. No one knew so he didn't have to act fake. But, then again, no one knew! Maybe he just wanted to play a little trick on me, then it backfired? Or this could actually be reality & is what he wants. Whatever it was, I was confused. These thoughts made my abdomen tighten up. I wasn't feeling too good; like shit to be exact.

"Maddie?" Ashton asked.

I forgot I was on the phone until I heard his voice.

"Ash, I need to talk with you in person. I can't do this on the phone."

"But are you able to do it in person?"

Ooh. I hadn't thought of that. I didn't want to cause a scene yet I'd rather have this conversation with him eye to eye. I made my decision, not having a care in the world if I was the center of attention wherever we met.

"I need to do it in person."

"Okay," he said in a considerable voice, "I can meet up with you on Wednesday. Is that fine with you?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

Therapy. Therapy. Therapy.

'Screw therapy' I told myself.

I can make an excuse for school & therapy. I'm a straight A student, I doubt my school will care if I miss one day. It wouldn't hurt. Yet I have to persuade Austin into letting me skip for a day..... or I could talk with Eli instead. He'll understand, I think.