Chapter 11

The next morning was like any other day. I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock & forced my body out of my comfy bed.

I prepared myself for school & headed out the door when I heard the sound of a honk from Jameson's truck. I hopped in, greeted him with a good morning, & stayed quiet the rest of the car ride.

"Austin's taking you after school," Jameson informed me as I stepped out of the old Chevrolet.

"Lovely," I half smiled.

"Have a good day kiddo."

"Thanks, I'm going to need it." I shut the door to the truck & turned my back on Jameson who was frowning at my attitude this morning.

As I entered the school doors I noticed a group of girls giving me looks while I walked passed them to reach my locker.

While I was retrieving my books, Shay ran up to me out of no where. Before I could say a simple hello, she wrapped her arms around me & hugged me real tight, almost to the point where I couldn't breath. She finally let go of her grasp on me when I started turning blue.

"I'm sorry, Maddie. I'm just so happy you're here." She had a tremendous smile on her face when she talked, it confused me on why she was acting like we haven't seen each other in years.

"Yeah? Why's that?" I questioned after closing my locker & leaning my back against it.

"Are you serious, Madds?" She leaned closer to me & lowered her voice, "You ran away."

"Yeah, well- wait, how do you know?" I raised an eyebrow as I mentally asked myself the same question.

Shay's eyes looked left then right almost as if she were afraid to answer the question depending on who was near us.

She finally met eyes with me again & sighed, "Jewels called."

"When did my mother call?"

"After you left, I guess. She said she was having dinner-"

"Going out," I corrected.

Shay ignored it & continued on, "then she went back home after she realized she forgot her phone. She said she called out your name & got no reply so she checked the house & found no sign of you. Then she called us to ask if you had snuck back over here but we said no. What all happened?"

I still wasn't in any mood to bring up the situation. I had to tell Shay though, she was my closest friend & just wanted to make sure I was okay.

I sighed & said, "Long story short, Jewels & I got in an argument & I ran off, met a friend somewhere then Austin picked me up & took me to his place. Now please tell me why I'm getting the stink eye from people."

Shay shrugged her shoulders, "I think it's because your mother called almost everyone to find out where you were. She told her sappy part of the story, saying how she tries her hardest to raise you as a single mom & does her best &-"

"Blah blah blah & lies lies lies."

Shay sighed, "I know, Maddie, I know. Let's get back to talking about this friend you met at the hotel?"

"Yeah, it's a friend."

"Male or female."

I rolled my eyes & shook my head, "Why does gender matter? It was just with a friend."

"It matters because if it's male I know it's your little boyfriend & if it's female I'll want to sack you right now for cheating on me in this friendship, now which one is it?"