Chapter 21

The car ride to the restaurant wasn't as awkward as I planned it'd be. The fact that I was squished between Shay & Spencer in a three seater was unpleasant but our conversations were entertaining. We learned more about each other.

Spencer was actually the youngest of four, two brothers & a sister. He was expected to achieve so much & follow in his siblings footsteps. He achieved as much in academics, but was awarded zip in extracurricular activities. Sports weren't his 'thing'. He'd rather listen to music all day & strum away on his guitar than practice a sport for hours.

He was also looked down on for his taste in music, what he wore, & his personality. It wasn't that he was a douche, it was because he wondered about life. He questioned it so many times & his family thought he was sick with a mental disorder.

It must've been hard being put in a mental hospital at the age of twelve but I didn't ask him what it was like. I stayed quiet as Shay nosed into every single detail on Spencer's life.

I was being more silent than usual but no one seemed to wonder why. At breakfast I barely ate, as well as barely speaking.

Something didn't feel right. I wanted to blame it on the baby, but I knew it was something else. The feeling stayed even when I was at Shay's.

I tossed & turned as I tried to fall asleep in the guest bedroom. Nothing could help it. It took me a while to realize what was causing this foreign feeling I had.

It was Niall.

I couldn't keep the charming boy out of my mind. All I could think of was Niall. His laugh. His smile. His eyes. His voice. Everything about him was stuck in my mind like glue. I couldn't get him out of my head. He was on my mind & my heart couldn't take the pain anymore. I did the last thing I planned on doing, trying to ease the pain away maybe.

My hand reached for my phone, grabbing it off of the nightstand next to the bed. I sat on the floor next to the bed with my back against the wall & my knees bent up to my chest, well almost to my chest because of the small bump I had.

My finger pressed on the familiar contact before I put my phone up to my ear, hearing it ring several times before someone on the other end finally picked up.

A single tear ran down my cheek as my voice quivered, "Ash..."

***

"The three of us need to hang out!" Shay exclaimed.

Her eyes were bright & wide full of energy as she spoke. I looked up at the laptop screen, my eyes searching from Shay to Spencer several times as we discussed how to cure our boredom over the break.

"My family's going out of town for the holiday," Spencer spoke while rolling his eyes.

I giggled at his attitude, "You seem excited."

He combed his fingers through his fringe while a small smile formed on his face, "We're going to see some family but they think of me as an 'outcast'. I usually stay in our hotel room when we go. Such fun, isn't it?"

"But you're our little outcast, Spence," Shay smiled, "Which is a good thing."

"Just stay with me when your family leaves," I blurted out without thinking.

"You sure? Will your cousin care?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I doubt he will. But yeah, spend the holiday with me," I smiled, "it'll be fun, I promise."

***

"Hey, Austin," I spoke as I walked into the living room.

"Yes?" He said while keeping his eyes focused on the sporting event that played on the TV in front of him.