V. Caught in the Middle

I made my way out the door and was surprised to feel sand under my shoes.

So Gil's old house is at a beach side, huh? That's so nice.

I swear I was smiling like an idiot from being too happy to have actually made it here in Auradon.

A small chuckle snapped me out of my euphoric trance. "This yer first time here?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

I turned to see Harry smiling at me while fiddling with his hook. "You are not taking that to the mall."

"What? Its my father's hook- can't just leave it anywhere like its worth nothin'."

Just like my dad's pan.

My hand ghosted over my neck unconsciously. Even though I know its not there anymore, I keep disappointing myself by still clinging on to it.

"Just.. just hide it somewhere no one can see. People might get suspicious if they see you carrying a hook around like an insane person."

"Heh. I'm insane either way, Darling."

I rolled my eyes at his reply and started dragging him elsewhere.

On the way to the mall, I noticed a few people throwing strange glances at us while talking.

Maybe it has something to do with our clothes? I mean, we literally look like people who got washed up on the shore.

I remembered the clothes I left back on the travelling ship then sighed to myself.

I've got absolutely nothing to wear to Auradon Prep, much less the Welcoming Gala that the King's been so busy preparing.

Once we entered the mall, the first thing I went looking for was a pawnshop and luckily there was one right next to a bank.

"But I thought ya left all yer stuff on the ship we hijacked- what are ya supposed to shop with?"

I started taking off my earrings to Harry's confusion. "You wanna know one of the reasons why King Ben wants to fix the ties between him and my dad?"

"Shoot."

"Its because of this." I showed him the small pieces of jewelry in my hand- they're basically the only things I managed to bring with me here. "Come on, I have to get this traded for something useful."

Inside the pawnshop was a woman sitting behind a glass window.

I walked to the desk in front of her and knocked on the glass. "Hi."

"How may I help you today, ma'am?"

"You can just call me Peyton, and I was wondering if I could get these exchanged for what Auradon considers as currency." I handed her my earrings and watched her eyes go wide in shock.

She quickly pulled out a small scope to inspect it carefully. "A-Are you sure about that, ma'am?"

"Is there any problem?"

"No, its just that, these diamonds.." She trailed off. "They're priceless- I mean, they're worth more than what the bank can offer."

Harry raised his eyebrows from her claim.

"That's fine. I'll just take what you can give me."

It wasn't a long process for the woman to exchange my earrings for money and handed me a credit card.

"Thanks!" I grabbed the pirate boy by the elbow and was on our way out when the woman called out my name, making me whip around. "Hm?"

"Are you.. from Neverland?"