Chapter 3 - Part 3. Initial Days

Si Yin and Zhi Lans first lesson began when they were both presented with a thick book, which contained a test on their general knowledge on a range of topics, from Taoism, War strategies, Weaponry, Astronomy, Realm Magic,  Politics, Biology, Medicinal healing, Core Center energy systems, Universal Laws, Immortal Realm Laws, Beast of the Realms even Horticulture.  The test was extensive and thorough and would give Mo Yuan an idea of their strengths and weaknesses. 

Once done, Die Feng presents each of them with a handful of cards of which they choose one.  On their chosen cards is a question on a random topic and they are to give a detailed answer.

Immediately turning the card over, Si Yin smiles ever so slightly which Mo Yuan notices.  He does not know what his question is, but he can see from his reaction, that it is to his liking, and as he watches his head go down and the writing begins in earnest, his anticipation grows as he takes in the speed at which he is writing.  

Si Yins question was one he had discussed thoroughly with Bai Zhen not that long ago while discussing Taoist Philosophies and the effects it can have on not only the heart, but nature when the heart is not synchronized with the natural order of things around it.  

If a baby bird fell out of a tree, would a Taoist put it back in its nest or ignore it?  

A non Taiost would pick the bird up and put it back in its nest, because they are solely thinking with their own hearts and not what is necessarily good for the bird or the nest it fell from, because the heart judges all actions and in-actions by its own reactions.  That is, by picking the bird up, the heart automatically reacts to its own compassion, the bird however, is completely oblivious to the hearts desire of its rescuer, it merely feels an undesired intrusion on its physical being and that intrusion is in turn forced upon the remainder within the nest it is returned to.

A Taoist however would ignore it by conforming to the concept of action in in-action as dictated by wu wei, without the  hearts interference in the natural order of things.   That is, a Taoist knows that he is not the heart of anything other than himself, so too is the birds life which belongs solely to itself, therefore within nature, no one thing creates a path for another, as both paths will meet only if the unchanging forces that exists within the natural order of things dictates it.  

Closing his scroll, he laid it at the edge of his desk and waited for the next assignment, unaware that the question would have taken his seniors the rest of the lesson to complete.  However, having already noticed his completed scroll ready, Mo Yuan approached his desk and quickly scanned his answer.  And what he read, raised his brows considerably.  

Looking back at the impassive face of his Seventeenth Disciple, Mo Yuans mind stripped away the glamour spell to observe the girl, and what he saw almost made him laugh out loud.  The girl was nearly asleep from utter boredom.  But not entirely sure if the boys answer was indeed from his own mind, or part of the spell, Mo Yuan decided a separate test was in order.

"Follow me Si Yin." he said as he walked back towards Die Feng.  Then taking the cards with him, he led Si Yin back to his study and shut the door.  Throwing a privacy barrier up, he ordered the boy to sit down.

"I am going to remove Zhe Yans glamour spell, then I want you to select another question.  Your answer is to be given verbally" he informs him.

Nodding that he understands, Mo Yuan waves his hand about the boy, and the spell is instantly stripped bringing her full female form into view.  Instantly Mo Yuans eyes rise in surprise, before he quickly lowers them to the cards on the table before them.  Realizing how very pretty she is now that he can see her outside of the spell, and how exceptionally beautiful she will become when she is older, he forces his mind to the task ahead.