Chapter 11 - Part 3. The proposal

Having spent a wonderful afternoon shopping, Bai Qian was happy.  They had left the Market Place immediately after completing the portrait, and though she had wished she had decided to keep the portrait, she was glad the money raised would help children with their education. 

They were now resting high above the Mortal Realm on a cloud, enjoying their meal, while watching the sunset.  The Mortal Realm sunsets were always spectacular, one of the few things it had going for it she thought to herself.  The colors streaking, changing and melding across the sky almost felt as if they were in a dream.    

Resting against Mo Yuans leg, she snuggled into him.  "Shifu?" she said softly looking up at him.

Smiling down, he raised his eyebrows slightly.

"Thank you for today.  I feel better." she said smiling back up at him.

Nodding he looked back towards the sunset, his smile suddenly turning to a frown.  "Do you understand why I brought you here?" he asked her.

"I know." she whispered, her own brows furrowing slightly, but it was hard to feel anything but happiness when she had just received new dresses, had her portrait painted and was now watching the most beautiful sunset she had ever seen with her favorite Shifu in the whole world.

"You not only wanted me to know of my own physical attractiveness, but to also see the effect it has on those around me.  By watching the men, I saw not only their desire and want for something their minds had never seen before, but the danger that such attractiveness can bring.  To be vigilant in my dealings with such desire and to take notice always of what is going on around me.  By watching the women, I learned that jealousy too can be just as dangerous as desire.  That's why the gossip was spread." she said softly.  

Then thinking she was done, she added something that stunned him.  "The butterfly does not boast of it's own beauty.  She knows that vanity of self is as fickle and flitting as the short life she has been given. She knows too, that jealousy is merely a reflection of fear for which there is no greater punishment."

Smiling at her analogy he wrinkled his nose at her.  "So you're saying it is wrong to desire beauty?" he asked.

"No, not wrong. Wanting to be desirable is an intrinsic human flaw.  No child grows up desiring or even expecting to be ugly.  But when desire is fed by jealousy, it then becomes nothing more than slavery." she said wrinkling her nose back up at him.

 Sitting up, she then threw her arms wide at the sky.   "How can the sunset spread, if it's limit is the span of the horizon?  Beyond lies the night skies, which in itself is beautiful and desirable.  Though in complete opposition to each other,  both are mere reflections of the same thing.  They both desire each other.  The sunset races towards the stability of a never ending star lit sky, while the night sky races towards change and transformation, that inner need for something beyond both of their reach."

"Beauty, the butterfly and even this sunset and what lays beyond are all reflections of desire.  That deep inner wish to be seen, to be loved, to be coveted, but what is the point when they are all fleeting?   Eventually the butterfly will die, the sunset will disappear, and she will grow old." she said wistfully before falling back against him.

Smiling, he suddenly felt an overwhelming desire to kiss her.  The depth of her mind was astounding for one so young, he hadn't realized how profound her thoughts actually were until then.   

Instead he placed one hand gently about her waist while the other stroked her hair lightly as they watched the last of the sunset die away.  By the time it had ended, she had already fallen asleep.  Smiling down at her, he picked her up gently while her arms automatically reached up to wind themselves around his neck.  Kissing her forehead lightly, he carried her on a slow cloud jump ride back to the Immortal Realm.