Chapter 6 - Part 3. Post Trial

"I can Fly!  I can Fly!" Dongmei squealed as she twirled around Bai Qians sleeping body.  Opening her eyes, drowsily, the first thing she is met with is her little cousin dressed in her own dress that was miles too big for her and spinning wildly beside her. 

"Look cousin I have wings." she screamed in delight as she watched the tassels fly outwards as she spun. 

Groaning heavily, Bai Qian snapped.  "Dongmei!  Get out of my dress and get off my bed!" she growled her heavily as she tried to rise.  Instantly she felt her head tug tightly as she attempted to lift herself up amid Dongmeis ear piercing squealing.

"What the.....?" she cried out as her hands moved up towards her head.  "DONGMEI!" she screamed as the tears began to gather.  "Untie my hair now!" she cried, her tears now beginning to fall, as she tried to free her hair from the bed post.

Slumping down beside her, Dongmei too began to cry.  "Cousin is angry" she whimpered.

Not wanting a repeat of the night before, Bai Qian forced back her tears and calmed herself down.  "Dongmei.  Cousin is not angry.  I promise.  Please untie my hair." she asked nicely.  And though spoken softly, Bai Qian was barely keeping her temper under control.

Sniffing loudly, Dongmei nodded before pulling the end of the ribbon that held her hair in place.  Then scurrying right over the top of her, she jumped down off the bed to continue spinning.  "Wings cousin.  Look!" she laughed back at her.

Stumbling from the bed, Bai Qian looked at the child in annoyance.  "They're not wings Dongmei!  They're tassels." she snapped as she continued to stumble to the door, no longer caring if the girl cried or not.  She was going to fetch her mother.  The girl was beginning to annoy her immensely.

Seeing her family already seated in the main den, Bai Qian ran to her mother and threw herself down beside her.  "Mother, must Dongmei share my chamber?" she asked tearfully.  Having had little sleep she was in no mood for a child who was not only naughty, but too full of energy of which she had none of to keep up with her.

Following her out into the Den still wearing Bai Qians dress, Dongmei tearfully ran to The Fox Empress and threw herself at her feet crying.  "Cousin's angry." she cried pitifully as The Empress gently lifted her up into arms, while berating her daughter harshly.

Rising unsteadily to their feet, Zhe Yan and Bai Zhi lurched out of the Den to his study.  "I swear...... the Heavens weep..." Zhe Yan breathed heavily as they both stumbled through the door and out of sight behind a thick barrier.

___________________________________________

All morning Dongmei played the perfect guest in front of her family to endless compliments and gentle strokes of her hair, while playing the perfect annoying little cousin to Bai Qian when her mother wasn't looking.  Crying when Mo Yuan felt it was necessary, and laughing and energetically jumping about whenever Bai Qian stopped her own tears and paid kindly attention to her.  And when Bai Qian settled enough to listen to the child, Dongmei settled too.

For every tear Bai Qian shed, Dongmei shed ten.  For every moan she made to her mother, Dongmei moaned louder.  And for every kind word Bai Qian offered, Dongmei returned.  And regardless of the ribbing he knew he was going to receive from Zhe Yan and Bai Zhi later, he did not let up.  He continued to hound the girl and until she stopped to look into herself and pull out the inner strength he knew was there, he was not going to stop.  

And it was during one of the rare quiet times later that afternoon, that Bai Zhen approached his sister.  "Xiao Wu.  I heard you received martial arts training." he said enthusiastically.  "Care to show me?" he asked with a wink and a playful kick in the air.