Chapter 23 - The Search 3

The Empress and Emperors home was exactly as she had pictured it in her mind. Though a simple dwelling built into the trunk of an enormous tree, that spiralled upwards creating several floors, it was lavishly decorated, how a home befitting their status should look, their home was beautiful and the aura that filled every space reminded her very much of Mi Gu, it was warm, friendly and welcoming.   And though they were small in stature, their home was not, there was plenty of room for her to move about without the need for bending.

Immediately leading her to one of their many guest rooms, which was also just as lavishly decorated, with its own small library of rare literature, she was left alone to rest before dinner.

"Come down when you are ready dear, but do rest, we can sort out a change of clothing later." She said chuckling lightly as she left, leaving Bai Qian embarrassed as she took in her dress, that was covered in petals, leaves and dirt from lying among the wild flowers.

Sighing she moved towards the old scrolls before choosing one at random, then falling heavily onto the bed, she lay down to read.  Reading while lying down, always made her tired, and with her mind in so much turmoil, sleep was a better option than allowing her mind to repeat itself.

Opening the scroll, she was surprised to find it was a concise account of the Demon War.  However, the authors name was not penned at the bottom which instantly brought to mind, that the scroll was a first-hand account, no doubt from some hierarchy who had taken it upon himself to keep his own record of events, because going by the calligraphy, they were not only well educated but the beauty of their penmanship showed a stylish elegance.

Though the thing that struck her as odd, was the author seemed to view the whole war as if merely a spectator and not involved with either side, which going by her own knowledge of the event, which was vast, no Realm was exempt, it was the only war in their worlds history that saw no neutral territories. So, for the author to view the event as if they were not a part of it, yet saw even the smallest of details from both sides, which he recounted without any personal conflict or emotion, suggested their mind was far above that of the average man.

Not only was the account detailed and thorough, but it also seemed as if the author had uninhibited access to both sides in order to view not only their strategies and war plans, but even the private meetings. Much of which could not be found in any other chronicle she had ever read, and she thought she had read them all.

But it was the account of Mo Yuan and Lord Honghuis private battle for the love of The Demon Goddess Overlord which instigated the Demon War that ultimately saw her die, that had her transfixed.

According to the account, The Demon Goddess Overlord had been Honghuis intended, and a beautiful love affair began between the two which saw the date for their wedding set. But as fate would have it, she met Mo Yuan, and an affair began, which saw her briefly leave Honghui for Mo Yuan and thus began a bitter battle between both men for her love. In the end, with the assistance of their Clans Generals and Hierarchy, war was declared on the Celestial Tribe which ultimately saw the Demon Goddess return to her own people and Honghui.

Laying the scroll down, she closed her eyes. Though she had read of Mo Yuans affair with the Demon Goddess who died horrifically, she was not aware that the woman had also been Honghuis intended, or that the war had started because of a bitter love feud. And that had her mind working furiously.  

Mo Yuan had told time and again that she had been the only one he had ever loved, that she was the one he would ever love.  Had he lied to her?  She didn't think so, because going by what was written in the Chronicle, his affair with The Demon Goddess was brief, however Honghui had definitely loved her, so much he had war declared in order to bring her back to his side.