Chapter 1

"Do I have to go?" I say, staring out the window of the car.  It's still summer break and here I am, pulling into my new school's parking lot.  It is all too soon but here I am.  Instead of sleeping in until noon, I had to wake up at 8 am and actually make myself look presentable.  Which isn't even fair considering most of my future classmates are still doing just that.

"Relax, honey," my mom says as she takes her hand off the steering wheel to squeeze my own hand.  "It will be fine.  Your father and I went through band camp and we survived.  So did your sister.  So have thousands and thousands of other teenagers.  It'll be great.  You'll have a blast."  That's my mom for you.  Always optimistic, always perky, even at 8 in the morning.  I really don't understand how she does it.

"But that's different," I say, bringing my head back to look at her.  "You chose to go to band.  I didn't.  You guys are forcing me to keep playing this dying cat."

The car pulls up to the curb and stops.  My mother chuckles, then turns to me and says "Oh shush.  That's a clarinet, not a dying animal.  It deserves some respect.  If you don't like it, then switch instruments.  I honestly don't care what you do to make marching band the best experience possible, but you're  getting out of this car right now and that's that.  End of story."

I look at her and pull out my puppy dog face.  I look her straight in the eyes.  "Please don't make me go, Mommy.  I'll do anything you want.  Just please don't make me do this."  The car is quiet for awhile as she stares back into my sad, pleading eyes.

"Hmmmm anything?" She says,  seeming to consider my offer.  She puts the car in park and places her hand on her chin, thinking it over.  "Well I guess what I really want you to do is suck it up and get out of this car.  You'll make tons of new friends.  In no time at all you'll be having the time of your life. You'll have memories that will last you a lifetime. Besides, it's what your father would have wanted."

Oh no.  She's playing the father card.  It's become like a secret weapon for her.  It's gotten me everytime since he passed away last year.  He had lung cancer.  He was an amazing dad and  he meant the world to me.  I miss him like crazy.  He always made me laugh and put a smile on my face.  He used to always play catch with me and take me on little adventures.  We used to talk about anything and  everything.  However, I don't ever remember him telling me as a child that he wanted me to play in a marching band someday, but then again he always told my mom far more than me.  What do I know?  If she says it was what he wanted, how can I argue with that?  I have no proof otherwise.  I've always wanted to make him happy and I guess if it was his dream for me to play in the band, I'll do it for him.  "Fine," I say opening the door.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and reach below the passenger seat for my bag and clarinet case, as slowly as I can.   When I find them, I bring them up to my lap. I take a couple of long breaths giving my mom one last chance to change her mind but no such luck.  I grab the handles and begin to emerge from our car.  "Have fun, sweetie," mom says from behind me.  "Play loud enough for daddy to hear  you in heaven.  I love you."

I smile.  "Love you too."  I close the car door. I realize I left my hoodie in the backseat.  "Wait! I-" before I can finish, she takes off so I can't change my mind.   She's lucky its August and it's like 90 degrees out. Otherwise, I'd be more upset than I already am.

"Great."  I  let out a big sigh as I stare at the school.  "Let's just get this over with."   For awhile, my feet feel cemented to the ground. I am unwilling to go inside. I didn't want to admit it to my mom, but I'm nervous. It's not only about all the strangers, but that they are probably far better than me. I debate with myself for awhile,  but finally I gather the courage to start walking towards the entrance, unaware of everything that awaits me inside the band room.