5

PETER

I am so dumb! Why didn't I see this... why didn't I got your message at the right time? Earlier than now... now that you are already married with that man...

I am standing now in front of the reception. It was too late I know but I still rushed here the moment I saw the note.

I wanna see her face, her smile and her eyes always full of love.

I walk over her and she was surprised to see me... I saw her eyes sparkle but suddenly turn into deep green... it's just like how her song goes... so shallow and manmade.

She looked down but I still offer her my hands. Simon glare at me like asking what I am doing. She remain still... I didn't mind Simon and reach her hands.

She tried to pull away but I grip it tight... I kneel my right knee in front of her and kiss her hand, I know this is corny but I can't help but cry. "Please... just for this once, princess..." and I buried my face on her hands.

She squeezed my hands and I look up at her. She smile sweetly and motion me to the space alloted for dancing. Simon looks at me dangerously. "Don't worry man. She's yours now... just take care of her." I said. Why not give him the chance to prove himself? Huh! Are you stupid Peter? You knew him well... moron!

I guided her, she is so beautiful with her gown... she still remains my conservative princess. Her dress fits her well... although the neckline is quite deep more than her usual dresses it still looks decent. The top was designed with laced flowers the flows in her shoulders to her long sleeves.

I held her thin waist my other hand intertwined with hers. Well, I do love the song and it is so right...

...I heard that you're settled down...

...that you found 'someone' and you're married now...
...I heard that your dreams came true...
...Guess he gave you things I didn't give to you...

I know she'll laugh at me singing but I did anyway... but to my surprise, she didn't laugh at me, instead she cried and sing the next lines...

...old friend, why are you so shy?...
...ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light.
..

She comes closer and lean her forehead on my chest...

...I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited...
...but I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it...
...I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded...
...that for me it isn't over...

But no, I know... I have nothing I can do to have you...

Neither of us sing the first line of the chorus because I will surely won't look for anyone... but...

...I wish nothing but the best for you too...

Both of us sing that line... but she chokes up and stop...

"...don't forget me, I beg." I told her in not a singing style, she smiles and said "I'll remember" and we hug.

"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead"

We slowly sway on the melody of the music.

I cup her face and wipe her tears, I lock our eyes and I sing...

...nothing compares, no worries or cares...

She replies... I know this song is not meant for me but it is perfectly suited to our situation or atleast my situation.

...regrets and mistakes, they are memories made...
...who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?..

I kissed her forehead... and as her sweet voice was heard on the background I say...

"You should be happy. I am sorry for not being strong enough... but I love you." I lean my forehead on hers.

I saw her close her eyes tight. "You must not go... I need you. Please... don't go." She said hugging me tight.

I know, no one will think anything less about us, everyone knows how close of a friend we are... and press is ban, of course, she is the most private famous singer of all time.

I smile at her... and before I can promise her anything, Simon appears... "May I have my WIFE back?" he said in a rude way.

I let her go but she hold on to my hands... I squeezed it tight for the last time and mouthed her how much I love her. "I will."

"There's no love like lost love, and no pain like a broken heart. There's no love like you and me, and no loss like us apart."

Ben Harper