Chappie 28: The Ghost of Her Past.

--->MAI<---
Its 8pm and I took out my IPhone to check if Alex contacted me, may 3 days ko na siyang hindi binubuksan since start na ng pasukan sa LA, and dahil na nga sa time difference hindi ko na masyadong tinatawagan si Alex, however as soon as I opened my phone, there were hundreds of texts from her, telling me to call her as soon as possible and kahit anong oras, so I did just that.

“Mai! It’s about time you called!” she stated as soon as she answered.
“Whoa, what’s the problem? Is it about Dad and ABItch?” I asked.
“No! Look, I know you told me not to talk about him, but you need to hear this.” She said, her voice too fast that I almost didn’t understand what she said.
“It’s about Tom? Isnt it?”
“Yes, I’m sorry Mai, but as your best friend, I know you need to hear this, you have to, please?” I sighed, minsan lang maging ganito kaexcited si Alex and it seems to be really important, so as much as I don’t want to know or hear any news about him, I just told her to shoot.
“Well, your friends came here a few days ago, you know, the blonde, and the two brunettes? Not the cheerleaders.”
“Uh-huh.”
“Yeah, them. Well anyway, they called me out and then they asked me if I know why you two broke up.”
“What do they want now? It happened months ago.”
“Well yeah, just let me finish.”
“Sorry.”
“Well so I said I didn’t, coz you told me not to, so then THEY told me his side.”
“What? He talked to them?”
“Stop interrupting and let me finish!”
“Jeez, sorry.” It’s 5 am in LA and she’s this excited?

“Well, you know how Tom’s from this old British family, and its their tradition to get engaged during their teens and it just so happens that his family was trying to you know, pair him up with Holiday, so that’s why you saw them together!” Well, its true, sinabi na niya saken yun dati, but I just laughed it off, telling him it’s a new day and age na hindi na mahalaga yun.
“So? That doesn’t change the fact that he cheated on me.”
“Well, maybe but hear this, he broke off the engagement and they heard it was because of you! I mean Mai, look at it this way, he loves you he said so, he only did it because of his family.”
“Edi sana ako na lang yung niyaya niyang pakasal diba?”
“Would you have said yes if he did ask?” My heart skipped a beat, given the circumstance? Would I? I shook my head.
“Alex, kung ito na yung big news mo, I’m not impressed. It’s been 5 months tapos ngayon lang siya nakipaghiwalay dun sa Olivia na yun, who knows maybe he found someone else!”
“Who said he just broke up with her? The moment you guys broke up, he also broke their engagement!”
“How would you know?”
“Simple! Its on the news!”
“What? Why?”
“Coz it seems the Scott’s and the Holiday’s are having problems with their business partnerships so everything was made public.” She said matter of factly, I seriously need to check things out in LA more often.
“Mai, don’t you see? He loves you so much that he’ll risk everything even their business! Come on! Wake up!”
“I am awake stupid!”
“Look, if you’re still not convinced, here’s another one, remember your student exchange programs?”
“Yeah.”
“Well, he participated this year, and guess where he is?”
“I don’t have time to guess, where?”
“In the Philippines, and to be exact Abbey Mount International San Pablo City Branch!”
“What?”
“Yeah and I took the liberty of searching and its just a few minutes away from  your school! He’s looking for you Mai, he seriously is!”
“Wait, you said is, you mean present tense right?”
“Yes, they said he left last Monday, so he’s already there!”

Friday morning, mabagal lang akong naglalakad paakyat ng 2nd floor, nasa isip ko parin yung mga sinabi sakin ni Alex kagabi and dahil na din don, I didn’t get much sleep. Tom was engaged with Olivia but he called it off and because of it their business is in hot water, I talked to Alice about it and she told me they are having problems because of the postponed engagement, apparently it’s a great deal with British companies and families.

I sighed, I shouldn’t think about it, I have nothing to do with it, right? I shook my head, as much as I want to act dumb, I’m at least 45% convinced that maybe Alex was right, that it was because of me. I tried to push the thought away but I just can’t, si Tom na lang yung naaalala ko ngayon, the memories, the moments, the adventures, the hugs and also the kisses we shared, everything just comes rushing back and I’m starting to feel like crying because of it.

“Mai! Bakit ngayon ka lang? Kanina ka pa naming hinahanap!” tawag sakin ni Gina, art club president and siya yung punong abala sa exhibit ngayon.
“Huh? Bakit?”
“Maagang magsisimula yung opening ng exhibit, halika na! Aayusan ka pa namin!” sabi niya as she pulled me along.
“Mai! Gina! Dito!” tawag naman ni Lucy samin.
“O? Bat nadito ka?” tanong ni Gina kay Lucy.
“Naku girl, ang dami palang dadating na schools ngayon.”
“Talaga? Ano-ano?” sabe ni Gina.
“St. Joseph’s, Franciscans, Johnians, LMI and Abbey Mount.”
“Wait, what?” I turned to Lucy.
“Huh?”
“Anong sabe mo? Sinong mga dadating?”
“Yung St. Joseph’s. Johnians, Abbey Mount...”
“Abbey Mount?”
“Oo, every year naman nagpupunta sila dito.”
“Bakit Mai?”
“Wala, wala.”

“Alam mo, mas bagay sayong walang salamin.” Sabi ni Gina as she finished my make-up.
“Oo nga, pero kung tutuusin cute ka din pag nakasalamin, uso na din naman kasing nerdy look e.” Dagdag ni Lucy.
“Thanks.” Sagot ko, mejo nagpapanic pa kasi ako, what if nadun si Tom? Will he recognize me? Damn! What should I do?
“Pero alam mo, may kahawig ka, diba Lucy?”
“Oo nga no, yung pinsan ni Josh, yung model!”
“Oo nga, si Chanelly Hutcherson!”
“Ha? H-hindi naman, ibang-iba naman siya sakin.”
“Hindi, hawig mo nga siya!” Pilit ni Gina.
“Oo nga, patangusin lang ng konti yung ilong mo, yung eyes mo mejo palakihin ng konti, tsaka yung skin mo, dapat darker and you’ll be like twins.” Ngiti naman ni Lucy. I just smiled at her. Thank god for nose lines, tans and lenses.

“Okay ka lang Mai? Tanong ni Aria, nasa hall na kami and were positioned in the 4th year exhibit since kami nga yung representatives, our masterpieces are yet to be unveiled since iniintay pa namin si Ms. Laurel tsaka yung mga special guests.
“Yeah, I’m fine.” Not! Gad! I’m a bundle of nerves, not because I’m nervous of this stupid exhibit but mainly because everytime na may makikita kong nakaibang uniform, natataranta ako, thinking that it might be Tom and sa dami ng tao dito, lalo pa kong nawiwindang.
“Ladies and gentlemen, if I could have your attention please.” Smiled Ms. Laurel as she reached our spot, I guess its time for the unveiling. Tumayo si Ms. Laurel sa gitna nung mga covered paintings namin, pinakilala niya kami ni Aria and konting speech.
“So without further adieu, I present to you, our dear student's masterpiece.” A round of applause and so I tugged at the end of my painting's cover and not only did my eyes widened but so did everyone else's.

The clapping immediately stopped followed by murmurs.

My painting was ruined, it was a total mess, like somebody stabbed it and tried to rip it apart.

“Oh my gosh.” Said Aria. My eyes were starting to tear, my mom’s face was slashed, the pergola and wisteria looked nothing like how its supposed to be. Who did this? How can anyone do this? 

“Mai?” I heard someone from behind call me, hindi ako pwedeng magkamali, I know that voice, and as I slowly turned around, there he was, my hand flew to my mouth and in one swift movement, I ran out of the hall.