Chappie 76: Wishes.

--->NARRATOR<---

Mai opened her eyes, and the first thing she noticed was the low ceiling and the dimly lit space. She sat up and seeing everything around her, it all made sense. She's in a private plane headed to Manila. It's been almost a month when she left without saying goodbye to anyone but Rick and it's almost a month without communincating to anyone even him.

She stood up and walked to the bathroom, splashed water on her face and looked at herself in the mirror. She looks better, she feels better, she knows she's better. Staying in a treatment center really helped her, she's back on her feet again and she's happy.

Her relationship with her dad was better, same as before she got sick and they're both happy. After she came back from the center she knows he's been talking to her mom, but not even once has he brought her up. Hindi naman sa iniiwasan nila, it just that neither one of them brought it up. She knows they're talking regularly, knows that she's still in the Philippines but other than that, nothing.

But three days ago, during dinner her dad finally talked to her about her mom. She can still remember their conversation...

"About your mom." He started.
"Yeah?"
"She wants to talk to you." He took her hand in his.
"..."
"Gusto nyang magpaliwanag, makita ka, makausap ka. But if you're not ready, we'll understand."
"Ok." Was Mai's only answer.
"Mai?"
"...I'll... talk to her. I'm ready to meet her."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes dad. I think I'm ready for the truth now. Just promise you'll be there." His dad smiled at her.
"I promise. When do you wanna see her?"
"Any day's fine, whenever she'll be able to come."
"...honey, we're the ones who have to come to her."
"Why?"
"She'll... tell you."

"Two days." Bulong niya sa sarili niya.

"Two days and I'll know everything, two days and I'm finally going to see her."

--->MAI<---

First day back and instead of going straight to Laguna, nag-stay muna kami sa isang hotel in Manila. Overnight lang since Dad had some urgent business to do. Okay lang sakin since may art exhibit sa 2nd floor, so I went there to pass the time.

Marami-rami ring tao sa hall. Karamihan sa kanila mga mayayamang babae na namimili ng paintings na idedecorate sa mga mansyon nila, may mga matatanda na marahang naglalakad at inaapreciate yung mga nakikita nila, at meron ding mga teenagers, mga kasing edad ko na may mga kasamang significant other, hawak kamay na naglalakad o magkaka-akbay.

Naglalakad lang ako mag-isa sa loob ng hall. Tumitingin ng iba't-ibang painting. I stopped in front of one of the paintings. It was an abstract painting of geraniums. I was admiring the artwork ng may tumigil din sa tabi ko at tiningnan ang oil painting.

"You've always had a thing for flowers." Narinig kong sabi nung babae, it didn't take me a second to know she was talking to me, I know that voice. I turned to her and she smiled at me.
"Been a long time, Mai."
"Hi." Was all I could say.

Si Lucy Yoon ang lumapit sakin, hindi na dapat ako nagulat, she won't pass up on an art exhibit like this. Magkaharap kaming nakaupo sa isang booth sa coffee shop ng hotel. She was drinking tea while I just stared at the glass of mango juice in my hands. I don't really know what to say, ni hindi ko alam kung ano bang alam niya, kung sinabi ba sa kanya ni Gino kung anong mga nangyari.

"I'm not really sure wether to call you Chanelly or Mai..." Oh, then I guess she knows about that part.
"Mai is fine." Sagot ko naman, tumango siya.
"My son told me about what happened. Kamusta ka na?" And I guess that part too.
"I'm fine, better to be honest."
"I have no idea what you went through, but I'm glad you're okay. I remember when I told you not to hurt my son, but I guess he ended up hurting you and for that, I'm sorry."
"You don't need to apologise. It's fine, we're teenagers we make stupid descisions, it happens."
"Then, if you don't mind me asking. Pinapatawad mo na ba si Gino?" She looked at me, and I nodded.
"Yeah, it's part of the treatment, accept the things that happened, bury it and forgive the people that hurt me. So yeah. I forgive him." She smiled.
"I'm glad." I smiled, not really knowing what to say next. Then she started again.
"Nang gabing umuwi si Gino after ng Foundation day, I was mad at him for fighting at school, sinisigawan ko siya, pinapagalitan pero di tulad ng dati na makikipagsigawan siya sakin, tahimik lang siya ng gabing yun, nakayuko lang, nung nilapitan ko siya, he was shaking at nung tiningnan ko yung mukha niya... well it's the first time in 10 years that I saw my son... crying. I know my son lied in the beginning of your relationship but he wasn't lying when he told you he fell for you overtime. Sinabi ko na din sayo dati, he likes you, my son loves you."
"Why are you telling me this?"
"Like I said, my son loves you. Baka sakaling pag sinabi ko sayo maniwala ka na." Ngumiti siya sakin, and I can help but smile too.
"I know. But he's probably really pissed at me for leaving without saying anything."
"He was worried, and you can't blame him, you told Rick but not him."
"He told you that too?"
"My relationship with my son improved, and it's because of you. He tells me everything, and most of it is about you." Lumapit sa kanya si Gary at sinabing kailangan na nilang umalis.
"Well Mai, it's nice to see you again."
"You too."
"He wants to see you. Can I tell him you're here?"
"I'm going to finish my drink and then leave." Was all I said, she nodded, gave me a hug and left.