Chapter 21

Cammie POV

I thought for sure Shannon had cheated on me for revenge when I saw her in Sophie's room, but then I realized Shannon just isn't like that. 

She walked out and went to the car, I just followed after her. I'm sure everyone at the party knew about what Shan found, so there was no use in talking to them. I'm sure they weren't very happy with me. 

"I'm sorry," I said when I got in the car. 

She shook her head. "I said we're not talking about this now. We can talk in the morning when I'm not drunk," she wouldn't even look at me. I understand why she wanted to wait to talk, though, so we just drove home in silence. 

When we got into the house, Shannon flopped down on the couch. I wasn't surprised that she didn't want to sleep with me tonight. I would be upset if I were her, too. 

She didn't even say goodnight to me before I walked into the bedroom. I hated going to sleep fighting with her, especially if it was her that was mad at me and there was nothing I could do about it. I laid there staring at the ceiling, thinking about how much I had screwed up. I felt a tear fall down the side of my face, followed by a few more. I shook them off and turned on my side to face Shannon's side of the bed. My hand stretched across the bed in search of her, but couldn't find her. Instead, I forced myself to sleep without the arms of the girl I love wrapped around me. 

I woke up bright and early the next morning. It was hard to sleep in without Shannon to cuddle into, so I got up and got ready. When I went out to the living room I was surprised to see that Shannon was awake. She was sitting up on the couch, reading the letter. 

I sighed and walked over to her, taking the letter from her hands and ripping it to shreds. I threw it in the trash and came back to sit next to her. She still wouldn't look at me, though. 

"Shannon I know how it looks, okay?" I started

She nodded, "yeah it looks pretty bad doesn't it?" She turned to face me this time. 

I took her hand in mine, "Shannon I don't even have an explanation for why I applied. I had always admired that school and we saw it when we were in New York so I figured what the hell." 

"Yeah, what the hell? Right? Why not apply for a school halfway across the country and not tell my girlfriend about it?" She shot up off the couch. 

I stood up and tried to move closer to her but she backed away, "it wasn't even like that, Shan. I just wanted to see if I could get in." I tried to explain it to her, but it was no use. I really don't know why I applied or why I kept it from her. I guess I really didn't expect to get in, and I didn't know how to react when I actually did. 

"I didn't even know you wanted to go back to school," she sounded sad now. She slumped back into the couch. I didn't say anything so there was a short pause. She finally decided to break the silence, "are you going to go?" 

Honestly I hadn't even thought about that. I know it seems weird to apply somewhere and not plan for what happens if you get accepted, but I didn't. I was almost angry when I got the letter back, because it meant I had to make a decision. "I don't want to leave you," was all I could say. 

Her eyes started to well with tears but she blinked them away, "but..?" she said. 

"But nothing. I'm not leaving you," I made my decision. It honestly wasn't that hard, I just had to realize how much I would be leaving behind if I actually did this. 

She still didn't look relieved, though. "I can't be the girl that keeps you from your dreams, Cammie. If this is what you want, you can't give it up because of me. You shouldn't have to choose between me and your future."