Chapter 32

Shannon POV

The last person I expected to find at my door was Cammie. It's funny how the world works. It took me six months to finally be able to even tell myself that it was time to move on, and just when I did she came finally came back.

Is she back, though? I couldn't sleep after she left. I laid in my bed staring at the ceiling trying to figure out what the hell just happened. Was she coming back just to apologize? Was it just to give us both closure? Does she want to get back together? It happened so fast. One moment I was finally getting used to sleeping in the bed by myself and the next moment I was looking at the one girl that made sleeping alone extra hard.

I paced back and forth in my room. Cammie called to ask if we could meet for lunch and talk things over. I felt insanely nervous. I had no idea what to expect. I didn't want to get my hopes up and then have her walk out of my life again, this time for good. I tried not to expect anything, but I had been wishing for this for so long. I had wished for her to come home. Now that she had actually come back, I started to wonder what I ever thought I was going to do if she did. We couldn't just erase the last 6 months and get married. All I knew was that I needed answers from her. I guess I won't know what to do until after I get them.

"I'm sorry about last night, I shouldn't have just shown up without telling you," she said as we sat down for lunch.

I gave her a polite smile, "don't worry about it." My emotions were all over the place. One second I would feel like we had never spent a second apart and we were just out on a date for lunch. The next second I would remember how my heart had yet to mend and she was the one that broke it. I wanted to jump for joy just sitting across from her. The sight of her long blonde hair, and vibrant green eyes made my heart throb. I missed her face and the smell of her perfume, but I had to keep reminding myself that she was also the one that took them from me.

"Shannon, I don't even know where to start. There's so much I need to explain to you," she set down the menu that she had been pretending to scan over as she clearly questioned what she should say next.

I set my menu down as well and shrugged, trying so hard to act like I was okay with this, "then explain it. I have all afternoon," I said, looking at my watch.

"I never moved back home," she began. "I stayed in LA with an old friend and I thought I would just take a couple days and clear my head, then I would come back and we would talk. I never wanted to leave you for good, but I felt like the longer I waited, the less of a chance you would forgive me. Eventually I figured I had waited too long."

I nodded my head as if I completely understood what she meant. I couldn't wrap my head around it, though. I realized from what she said last night that she was just scared when I proposed, I just don't understand how that turned into her ghosting me.

When I didn't say anything, she continued talking, "I didn't leave because I wasn't in love you, Shannon. I left because I was. I am. I left because I'd never been with someone that forever was an option with. I didn't know that those butterflies in my stomach were good things." She was on the verge of tears now.

I think she expected me to tell her it was okay, and then we can start forever now. Part of me wanted to, but I couldn't. "It's been six months, Cam," was all I said. I think she understood. Six months was a long time. It felt even longer waking up everyday and feeling my heart break again when I realized she wasn't next to me. We can't just pretend nothing happened. Six months is too long.

"I know," she hung her head.

"Why now?" I asked curiously. I wasn't being angry or rude, I just truly wanted to know. "When you decided it was time to come find me, what did you want to happen? Where do you want to go from here?"