Chapter 20

Shannon POV

I spent the morning Friday unpacking and organizing the new place to surprise Cammie when she woke up. What I didn't do, however, was expect to find something that would break my heart into a million pieces. As I was unpacking one of the final boxes of Cam's things, I came across an opened envelope. It was just carelessly tossed into the bottom of the box, so I figured it was trash, but I opened it just to be sure it wasn't something important. 

The letter was addressed to Cammie and had a return address from out of state that I didn't recognize. It was a fancy envelope, and the letter inside was even fancier. The emblem on the top was red and gold and embossed on the page. The gold shimmered in the light. I wasn't familiar with the school that sent the letter, but it looked important. It looked like the place was based out of New York. 

I began reading the letter and what it was saying didn't quite hit me until I had nearly read the entire thing. It was a college acceptance letter and the date was almost two weeks ago. They wrote to thank Cammie for her application and to tell her that she had been accepted. In New York. Cammie had applied for a school thousands of miles away from me...

I tried to act normal around her for the rest of the day until after our party. I left to run errands and I just sat in my car outside the apartment for an hour thinking about what to do. I texted Amy and Ally and asked for their advice. They basically just told me to come to the party and then worry about it tomorrow. 

Not long after, I got a text from a random number I didn't have saved and it ended up being Sophie, Amy's roommate. I guess she had overheard Amy and Ally talking about my situation with Cammie and she wanted to text me to make sure I was okay. 

Sophie: Hey, heard things are rocky with Cammie. Hope everything smoothes out, here if you need me. xx

Shannon: Hey thanks, good to know. 

I tried to keep it simple because I didn't want her to read into it. After that, though, we just kept talking and kind of hit it off. Not in a flirty way or anything, she's just really cool to talk to. We didn't even really talk about Cammie, she was just trying to be funny and get my mind off of it. It worked until I had to go back inside and see my girlfriend who was easily lying to my face.

I was somewhat relieved when Cammie said she wasn't going to the party. I needed time with my friends so that they could make me feel better about this situation. I didn't want to make it seem like anything was wrong when I was with her until I decided how I was going to handle it, or if I was going to do anything at all. 

I fell asleep for a little while before the party and I woke up when Amy called me. I looked at the texts and noticed that Amy and Ally had said stuff about how I was upset, and I was hoping Cammie hadn't seen it. I rushed out of the apartment before she could even say anything. 

Everyone was waiting for me when I got to the party. "It's about damn time," Sophie shouted. 

Ally pulled me into the kitchen and got me a beer. "So what's going on Shan," she asked. We moved out of the living room a little bit so that we could actually hear. 

"I found the letter and just put it in a drawer. It just said they accepted her application and they needed an answer in two weeks," I shrugged. 

She frowned a bit, "maybe she applied to it before you guys got together, or while you were broken up." She tried to find a reason around it, but I had already gone through all of them in my head. 

I shook my head, "they said they received the application a month ago. She had to have sent it when we came back from New York." Ally didn't say anything. We both just shook our heads. "I thought things were good, Ally," I looked at her. I had tried all day not to cry and this is the closest I came to letting it happen.